Saturday 8 April 2017

Review: Sunday in the Park with George

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Sunday in the Park with George.
I didn't know too much about the show going into the theatre, however I had read about the storyline a few weeks ago and thought it sounded very interesting. I am also a big fan of Stephen Sondheim (composer of one of my favourite all time musicals: Sweeney Todd), so any chance to see another Sondheim musical gets a big yes from me. Luckily, it was a stunning production and was thrilling to watch. What I found to be most interesting about this show is that the show follows two storylines. Act one follows painter George Seurat and act two follows his great-grandson, also named George. It was sort of like seeing two shows for the price of one! Jake Gyllenhaal, as George (both of them), and Annaleigh Ashford, as Dot and Marie, are perfect in this production. They are both phenomenal at acting and singing. They have been really well paired for the revival, I couldn't have created a better pair myself.  Both actors showed a lot of versatility, especially Annaleigh who has to do two very different characters. They were an absolute pleasure to watch. They are backed up by a terrific ensemble, I couldn't fault anyone in this show. The costume and lighting design are excellent. Speaking of the lighting design, there's something really special in act two involving the lights. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, so all you need to know is that I was amazed during "Chromolume #7". I also really liked the orchestra, and having them onstage really added something special to the show. Even though is it a concert production, I was very impressed with how much they were able to create, whilst still keeping it fairly minimal. The two storylines are really interesting and touching, and I think can be relatable for many. It was wonderful to experience another Sondheim musical; his music is stunning. He's one of my favourite composers of all time, he is truly amazing! My only critique for the show would be that I think more could be done to make it clearer that there has been a storyline change. It was clear that Annaleigh Ashford was playing a different character, but I feel that Jake Gyllenhaal could have done more to differentiate between his two characters.

The featured star of Sunday in the Park with George is, drum roll please... ANNALEIGH ASHFORD!


This was a really great cast, and yet Annaleigh was still the absolute stand-out. She has a huge presence onstage and all attention is on her whenever she enters. Stunning acting, stunning voice, what more could you want from a leading lady?

Now for my final verdict on Sunday in the Park with George. I give Sunday in the Park with George...


This was a rating I really struggled to decide on: 4 or 5 stars? I eventually decided to go with 5, because there is no denying what a stunning and fresh revival this is, with a spectacular cast. Adding to this, any show composed by Sondheim usually deserves 5!

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment