Wednesday 19 April 2017

Review: Hamilton (April 2017)

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Hamilton.
As some of you may have seen on my Twitter, I was able to get $40 tickets to see Hamilton on Broadway (what an achievement)! I last saw Hamilton back in December 2015, but my Mum wasn't able to see it as tickets were so expensive so it was wonderful that she finally got the chance to see it (considering I've talked about it endlessly for over a year). Hamilton is my favourite musical of all time; I listen to it non-stop (pun intended). In this review I will be talking about the new cast of the show, and comparing them to the original Broadway cast. But first, let's talk about the production aspects. Second time around, I noticed the choreography and lighting design a lot more, both of which are the best I have ever seen in any show. They are really unique and second to none. A lot of thought has gone into both of these, they are two highlights of the show. I also adore the costumes, and as I mentioned in my first review, my favourite is the King George III costume. This goes without saying, but the music is phenomenal. I have a list of my top 10 songs of all time, where Hamilton takes up three spots (Wait For It, The Room Where It Happens and Satisfied). Each lyric has a deep meaning behind it and every word is carefully thought out. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a genius (but everyone knows that by now, right?). It was really weird seeing a different cast from the original. I've listened to the cast album day after day and have really gotten used to the voices and how the actors deliver them. Because of this, hearing certain lines delivered differently did throw me out a little. That by no means makes the show any less good, it's a more personal thing. However, I do feel as if a lot of the magic has left the show. Whilst still being a phenomenal show, it didn't seem to have that electric spark it used to. The original Broadway cast spent a lot of time getting the show right and perhaps time is what the new cast need. They are all giving very good performances, but to gel as well as the original cast together may take some time. Now to talk about the cast...

Javier Muñoz as Alexander Hamilton
When I first saw the show, it was Lin-Manuel as Hamilton that stole the show, so in my eyes it was Javier who had the biggest shoes to fill. It took me quite a long time to get used to the fact that Alexander Hamilton sounded and looked so different, however there is no denying he is brilliant in this role. Javier, whilst not being quite as good at rapping as Lin, is certainly a much better singer than Lin-Manuel. His voice really excels during 'Dear Theodosia' and 'Hurricane'. The only negative I have for Javier's performance is that I felt the final monologue that Alexander Hamilton does could have had a bit more emotion put into it, as it didn't move me to tears as it had originally.

Brandon Victor Dixon as Aaron Burr
Brandon is definitely giving one of the best performances in the entire show. He plays it extremely differently from Leslie Odom, Jr. and he certainly did make the part his own. Brandon plays Aaron Burr very seriously, something I think was very true to life. He absolutely nailed 'Wait For It', my favourite song of all time. My one negative for Brandon's performance is that during both the first 5 minutes of the show, and the last 5 minutes of the show, he seemed to have low energy. I'm not quite sure what was going on during those parts, but I assume it was tiredness due to being a two show day.

Elizabeth Judd understudying as Eliza Hamilton
I thought Elizabeth gave a phenomenal performance as Eliza and had I not read the sign saying she was understudying, I would never have know she wasn't in the role full time. She has a fantastic voice and portrayed Eliza perfectly. I can't fault her, I thought she really did an excellent job!

Bryan Terrell Clark as George Washington
Bryan excels as Washington; he is truly excellent in this role. Comparing his portrayal to Christopher Jackson, I'd say Bryan is actually a better actor that Christopher Jackson, however not quite as good a a singer (he's still a great singer, but it's very hard to beat Christopher Jackson at that). He really suited the part and gave a very powerful performance. He is extremely well cast.

Mandy Gonzalez as Angelica Schuyler
Mandy is perfect for the part and I really did like her in the role, however I feel as if she became upstaged a little during certain parts of the show. She has the potential to become phenomenal, but her performance needs more passion to make her a stand out. Perhaps as time goes by this will happen.

Seth Stewart as Marquis de Lafayette / Thomas Jefferson
This was always going to be tough role to take on after Daveed Diggs' stunning performance; where Daveed made it seem like the role was actually written for him. This puts Seth Stewart is quite a difficult position. He has a very good portrayal of Thomas Jefferson, but I wasn't the biggest fan of his portrayal of Marquis de Lafayette. His performance of Marquis de Lafayette looked like it needed some work and the French accent just wasn't right. During 'Guns and Ships', the French accent seemed to disappear. Luckily though, he redeems himself in act two as Thomas Jefferson, where I can't fault his acting, singing or rapping. He was hilarious as Thomas Jefferson!

Anthony Lee Medina as John Laurens / Philip Hamilton
Anthony Lee Medina was absolutely perfect for both of these roles and he was just as good as original Broadway cast member Anthony Ramos (if not better). I loved both of his portrayals! He played the passion of John Laurens and the youth and innocence of Phillip Hamilton. Anthony Lee Medina is an extremely good actor!

J. Quinton Johnson as Hercules Mulligan / James Madison
J. is an astounding actor and rapper, he did both roles justice. I thought he was the perfect choice for both of these parts and was just as good as Okieriete Onaodowan. I don't have a bad word to say about his performance.

Alysha Deslorieux as Peggy Schuyler / Maria Reynolds
Whilst I didn't think Alysha was bad, she didn't leave an impression the same way that original Broadway cast member Jasmine Cephas Jones did. There isn't anything particularly wrong with the performance, but there isn't anything special to it.

Taran Killam as King George III
Taran absolutely stole the show, despite a short stage time. He is an incredible King George, I loved his performance. He is complete and utter perfection! King George III only has 9 minutes of stage time, and yet it was Taran who left the biggest impression. I thought he was the star of the show! He is definitely just as good as Jonathan Groff.

The featured star of Hamilton is, drum roll please... TARAN KILLAM!


This was actually a very tough decision, as I wasn't sure whether to award featured star to Taran Killam or Brandon Victor Dixon (Aaron Burr, Sir). In the end I decided to go with Taran, as I can't deny it was him who stole the show. He really made the role his own and it worked extremely well. He was hilarious!

Now for my final verdict on Hamilton. I give Hamilton...


This was an obvious rating, as Hamilton is my favourite show of all time. Despite some of the magic going, it is still a phenomenal show and nothing can take that away. The new cast are doing a good job and will get better as time goes on.

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment