Saturday 22 April 2017

Review: In Transit

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of In Transit.
Quite a few people have asked me, of all the shows on Broadway right now, why did I choose this one? The idea of an a cappella musical fascinated me, it was exciting to see something that would be completely new and different. I prefer singing a cappella myself, so it was interesting to see a whole show being sung a cappella. I'm sad to say that this show closed 7 days after I saw it, which was not announced when I saw it. I'm sorry I couldn't get this review out before it closed. I had 10 shows to review from my New York trip and was in Orlando shortly after  New York, so have been extremely busy. But as they say, better late than never! I'm really sad the show closed so early, I thought it was a gem; it is so much fun! In Transit is brilliant from beginning to end, there wasn't a dull moment throughout. I actually really wish the show had gone on longer (it only lasts 1 hour and 35 minutes). Then again, as the old saying goes, "leave them wanting more". In Transit stars an absolutely phenomenal cast of only 11 people. All 11 are stunning, no bad word can be said about any of them. It's amazing to think that such a small cast are able to compensate for a whole orchestra! The music is also fantastic and I will be purchasing the cast album as soon as it comes out (it is being digitally released next Friday). I'm thrilled that the show will be preserved through this cast album. I have nothing but praise to say about the production aspects; the costume, lighting, set and choreography were all top quality. Transit's storyline follows four different stories of people in New York, and how they are all  somehow connected. The show is 100% original material, something which is extremely rare in a musical nowadays. The majority of musicals are based on films, with some being based on books and plays. The original musical is an endangered species, so producing an original musical was extremely brave of the producers. My one negative for the show is that I wasn't a huge fan of the way they portrayed the multi-roles.  I was a little confused in places as to whether they had changed characters or not and I feel as if it could be differentiated a little more. Even though In Transit is closed, maybe they could write a sequel about the London underground and play it at the Young Vic? You never know what may happen in the future!

The featured star of In Transit is, drum roll please... JAMES SNYDER!


In a show like this, it is extremely difficult to choose a featured star, as they were all on the same level with no weak links. However, having to choose one, I'm choosing James Snyder. I thought he was the perfect choice for the role he was playing and was a brilliant actor and singer as always. 

Now for my final verdict on In Transit. I give In Transit...


In Transit doesn't get my 5 star rating, but having said that, it has hardly any faults and is one I would recommend, if it were still open. I hope that the show has future life, perhaps an Off-Broadway transfer may be possible?

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below. 

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment