Monday, 31 May 2021
Tuesday, 25 May 2021
Monday, 24 May 2021
Monday, 17 May 2021
Sunday, 25 April 2021
Monday, 12 April 2021
Monday, 29 March 2021
Winning with 98% of the votes cast, the Basic Theatre Award for Best Understudy goes to...
- Kings of Broadway 2020: A Celebration Of The Music Of Jule Styne, Jerry Herman & Stephen Sondheim
- Niamh Cusack - My Brilliant Friend
- Catherine McCormack - My Brilliant Friend
- Pepe Nufrio - Jesus Christ Superstar
- Ricardo Afonso - Jesus Christ Superstar
- David Thaxton - Jesus Christ Superstar
- Cory English - Sleepless
- Kimberley Walsh - Sleepless
- Claire Machin - Mary Poppins
- Maimuna Memon - Jesus Christ Superstar
- Mary Poppins - West End
- Jesus Christ Superstar - West End
- Leopoldstadt - West End
- Beat the Devil - Off-West End
- Ben Turner - My Brilliant Friend
- Adrian Scarborough - Leopoldstadt
- Hugo Weaving - The Visit
- Ralph Fiennes - Beat the Devil
- Michelle Pittoni - The Misadventures of David and Sam
- Faye Castelow - Leopoldstadt
Thursday, 25 March 2021
Monday, 8 February 2021
As those of you who follow me on Twitter will know, The Basic Theatre Review recently celebrated its 6 year anniversary. It's amazing to have reached this milestone, and I thank each and every one of you that has taken the time to read this blog over the years.
To celebrate each anniversary, I usually hold what is known as 'The Basic Theatre Awards'. In these awards, I nominate a selection of my favourite shows and performances of the year, and consequently ask my readers to help me choose the winners.
This year has proven to be a little different for those in the theatre industry, and many award shows were cancelled throughout the course of this year. After careful consideration, I have decided to push ahead with the awards this year in commemoration of the hard work displayed by our theatre industry throughout this past year.
As I'm sure many of you can imagine, the awards will have to adapt slightly to our ever-changing circumstances. This year, each category will consist of 1-3 nominees, as opposed to the usual 5 nominees. Beyond that, I am pleased to introduce a new category for this year alone: 'Best Digital Production'! It was a great year for digital theatre, and I am overjoyed to reflect this in the awards.
If there is a particular performer or a show that you are rooting for, then please make sure to spread the word. There will most likely be shows on this list which you may be unfamiliar with, but not to worry! If there is a category that you wish not to vote in, then simply leave that question unanswered.
Here is a link to vote: https://forms.gle/HBtiUR4xxKgzkqNZ9.
Voting will close on March 8th. Good luck to all of those nominated!
-The Basic Theatre Reviewer