Friday 7 April 2017

Review: Hello, Dolly!

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Hello, Dolly!
Hello, Dolly! was at the top of my wishlist of New York shows, due to it starring one of my favourite actors of all time... David Hyde Pierce! I've always wanted to see David Hyde Pierce live and the opportunity finally arose. As you most likely know though, tickets were extremely hard to get. However, wherever there is a will there is a way! This is the best show I have seen in months. I left the theatre walking on air; the show is a thrill from beginning to end. They have pulled out all the stops for this stunning revival. Every part about it is amazing. If I had to choose my favourite aspect of the show, it would be the stunning cast. Every single one of them could act, sing and dance brilliantly. They all fitted in with each other really well and there was absolutely no weak link. It was nice to see that the show wasn't only focused on Bette Middler, with everyone having a chance to shine. Cast members who stood out were Bette Midler as Dolly Gallagher Levi, David Hyde Pierce as Horace Vandergelder, Gavin Creel as Cornelius Hackl, Kate Baldwin as Irene Molly, Taylor Trensch as Barnaby Tucker and Beanie Feldstein as Minnie Fay. Bette Midler and David Hyde Pierce are pure magic onstage together. They make a wonderful team and compliment each others talents. Not only this, but they are both hilarious. They are the perfect stage combination! All of the production aspects of the show are excellent. Nothing can be faulted about the set design, costume design or lighting design. They are perfect in every way! The choreography is glorious as well; everything in this show is seriously amazing! The music is another highlight of the show and I cannot wait for the cast recording of this revival to be released. The storyline was really interesting to follow, I was gripped from beginning to end. I even lost track of the time (I think it was around 2 hours and a half, but not sure). As I'm sure you can tell, I adored this revival. I urge everyone in New York to pick up a ticket to this. It is one of the best shows on Broadway right now.

The featured star of Hello, Dolly! is, drum roll please... BETTE MIDLER!


This was an extremely hard decision, and I was planning to give featured star to David Hyde Pierce at one point, but in the end it has to go to Bette Midler. I think she's definitely going to win the Tony. She adds so much to the show. Funnily enough, I hadn't actually known Bette Midler prior to seeing the show (I must have been the only one the theatre), but she was terrific. She is truly a star!

Now for my final verdict on Hello, Dolly! I give Hello, Dolly!...


I give this rating because it was a stunning show from beginning to end with no faults. 

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment