Monday 24 April 2017

Review: Groundhog Day

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Groundhog Day.
I fell in love with Groundhog Day when I saw it in September at London's Old Vic on its closing night. It was my favourite show of 2016, I adored it! I couldn't wait to see it again; I was counting down the seconds! For my final day in New York (which was actually over 2 weeks ago now, sorry for the delay!), I got 40$ rush seats. What a bargain! Not only does it remain one of my favourite shows of all time, but it seemed even better second time round. I could happily watch this show again... and again... and again. My favourite aspect of this show is that it is so creative. Director Matthew Warchus has an extremely large imagination. He must be a genius! Whilst Groundhog Day is set in the dull small town of Punxsutawney, this outstanding musical isn't dull for one second. I was grinning from beginning to end. I had actually forgotten how good Andy Karl was. He shows extreme versatility, starting off with arrogance, going onward to depressive and finishing with a kind and sweet philanthropist. A role such as this one requires a vast range of acting ability, something which Andy Karl delivers with ease. He is also a phenomenal singer. Barrett Doss is owning the role of Rita. I thought Carlyss Peer was excellent in the London production, but Barrett Doss plays this role like no other. She was utter perfection, I thought she was perfectly cast. She too is a brilliant singer. All ensemble members are terrific. The score is one of my all time favourites. Since the cast album came out (Friday), I have been listening to it absolutely non-stop (a little bit like what Phil Connors goes through in the show!). I love every single song, I can't even choose a favourite. Choreography, lighting design, set design and costume design are all top quality; it is no surprise that all of these aspects received Olivier nominations (and if I'm honest, I feel they were robbed of some of the awards). I am terribly sad that the shows run in London was only a 2 month limited run. Luckily it will be returning to London in 2018. Typical, the West End finally creates a phenomenal musical which is loved by all, only for Broadway to take it off us!

The featured star of Groundhog Day is, drum roll please... ANDY KARL!


I can't rave enough about Andy Karl. I am praying that he'll come to do the London revival of the show. I'm actually having a little bit of difficulty imagining what the show would be like without him. Sadly Andy recently injured himself and I truly hope he gets better soon. It's amazing that he's still doing some performances, even with his injury. There is no doubt that he's a trooper!

Now for my final verdict on Groundhog Day. I give Groundhog Day...


I had no doubt about this rating. Groundhog Day is one of the best musicals of all time, it would definitely be in my top 10 shows of all time.

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

And that brings us to the conclusion of my New York reviews! Join me next time when I will be reviewing Dreamgirls, in London!

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment