Monday 21 August 2017

Review: Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812.
Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 was at the very top of my "theatre wish-list" throughout my America trip and there was nothing I wanted to see more than this show. I had made plans to see the show on my final night in America, however the show was involved in a controversy within that time, and there were certain people saying that the show might close before I could see it. I was really concerned, as I desperately wanted to watch it. I was over the moon when I found out that the show would still be playing beyond August 13th, but was still sad to hear the show would be closing soon after that date. I went into the show with high expectations, which can sometimes be a bad thing as in most cases the show does not live up to what you had predicted. I am over the moon to say that The Great Comet was everything I wanted, and more! Entering the Imperial Theatre was like going back in time. The outside area of the theatre (the entrance and where merchandise is sold) was designed like the Moscow streets, with several posters regarding Moscow up on the walls. Then I entered the actual theatre... my, oh my! The creative team behind The Great Comet have completely redesigned the theatre to make the whole room (including the audience seats) look like a Russian club. It was like nothing I had ever seen before, it took me quite a long time to digest all of it. I was so struck by the creativity of the set; it more than deserves the Tony Award for best set design! I was sitting on a "stage seat" so all the action of the show was going on around me. I have never been to a show like this. It was an immersive and wonderful experience which I will never forget. Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 takes 60 pages from War and Peace and turns it into a stand-alone story, full of humour and heartbreak. I was really touched by the story told by the show and was close to tears by the end of it. The music has a wide variety of genres, but is best described as an "electro-pop operatic" score. To put this type of music to a novel like War and Peace sounds insane, but boy is it good! It took me a while to pick my favourites, but having listened to the cast album over three times now, my highlights would be "Prologue" and "Dust and Ashes". The lyrics are truly beautiful and meaningful, whilst the music is wonderfully composed. Both the music and lyrics (along with the book) have been written by Dave Malloy, so I will be keeping an eye out for another Malloy musical. Denée Benton had a wonderful voice and was the perfect Natasha! Natasha goes on a long journey throughout the show and Denée is stunning for every moment of it. Scott Stangland was an incredible Pierre! I really invested my feelings into the character of Pierre and truly felt so much sympathy and hope for the character. His performance of "Dust and Ashes" was mesmerising. I have heard audio recordings of fellow Pierre's singing the song, however none of them seem to be as good as Scott was. Lucas Steele, who gained a Tony nomination for his portrayal of Anatole, had a voice like I had never heard before. His voice goes so high; it is absolutely insane! His mannerisms and facial expressions were brilliant and he gave a very memorable performance. Britain Ashford, in the role of Sonya, has a voice different to her fellow cast members, with a voice that actually sounded a little 'country and western'. I liked this as it made her stand out from the rest of the cast, and not to mention the fact that her voice is beautiful. Her solo of "Sonya Alone" is a real stunner! The whole cast are stunning, and cast members that deserve a mention are: Amber Gray as Hélène, Grace McLean as Marya, Nick Choksi as Fedya, Nicholas Belton as Andrey and Old Prince Bolkonsky, Courtney Bassett as Mary and last but not least, Paul Pinto as Balaga. It is no wonder that the show won best lighting design; the lighting design of The Great Comet is terrific, especially during the song "The Duel" which features strobe lighting. The costumes were also great and helped to add to the effect of Russia in 1812. The orchestrations are also superb, as is the sound design. I could go on all night praising this show, but I'll stop there. To see something so fresh and innovative is so much fun. I'm absolutely devastated that The Great Comet is closing and I really hope that it comes to England, as I can't imagine not seeing the show again!

The featured star of Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 is, drum roll please... SCOTT STANGLAND!


I read an opinion of the show online from someone who had seen every Pierre who had ever done the role, and they stated that Scott was the best Pierre that had ever played the role. If that is the case, then I am so glad I got to see Scott. He is such an amazing Pierre and I am really happy that he got the chance to perform the role for a full week on Broadway. Anyone who saw Scott's portrayal of Pierre was very lucky!

Now for my final verdict on Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812. I give Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812...


I had no doubt in my mind that this deserved 5 stars. The Great Comet is only playing until September 3rd and I implore everyone to see it before it closes its doors for the last time.

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

2 comments:

  1. Great review - very accurate. I agree that Scott is the best Pierre out of himself, Josh Groban and Oak Onaodowan. I would have loved to have seen Dave Malloy perform. The banquette seats offered the best experience due to all of the choreography up on the mezzanine and in the orchestra. This immersive show has so much going on all around you that in my mind it is necessary to see it multiple times as you will see something you have not seen previously. I happy saw it 5 times and wish it would not close. Dave Malloy is a genius and I look forward to his next work which I believe is based on Moby Dick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really wish I had been able to see the show more than once. I adored it so much; it remains one of my favourite musicals of all time. I have listened to the Original Broadway Cast Recording what must be over 100 times now!

      Delete