Friday 18 August 2017

Review: 1984

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of 1984.
1984 ran at the Playhouse Theatre in London's West End a year ago, where I did have an interest in seeing it, but for reasons I cannot actually remember I did not get around to watching it. One reason may have been that the show featured graphic violence and I may have been too squeamish to go at that moment in time. Despite this though, I did not miss my chance to see 1984 on Broadway! One of my favourite TV shows, Big Brother, is based off the novel 1984, so I was intrigued to know what had inspired the TV show. I was also a fan of another of George Orwell's novels, Animal Farm, so I was very hyped to see this. I had heard of people vomiting and fainting during this show, so it was a little nerve-wracking, but I didn't let that put me off seeing it. I am pleased to say that I survived the entire show without vomiting or fainting. 1984 was certainly a unique and extremely strange experience; I had never encountered anything like it before. Based on the popular George Orwell novel, 1984 depicts a dystopian future where critical thought is suppressed under a totalitarian regime. 1984 is really interesting due to the fact that it helped me to see into the mind of George Orwell and what he imagined the future to be. Luckily for Earth, the majority of his predictions were incorrect, but it's still fascinating to see what he had envisioned. Having said that, George Orwell did correctly predict that there would be cameras everywhere, which is true without a doubt. Wherever I go, there are cameras everywhere. Security cameras, people videoing you in public, random people taking pictures of others, it really is quite scary if you truly think about it. George Orwell also predicted that humans would be capable of torturing others, something which is sadly true. Luckily though, Big Brother did not take over Earth, so he didn't get everything right! 1984 is excellently adapted to the stage by Robert Icke and Ducan Macmillan. They have written it in a way that builds tension throughout and has the audience on the edge of their seats. George Orwell would be proud! Parts of the show drag a little bit, but what makes the show is just one scene... Room 101. This is an extraordinary scene unlike anything I have ever seen before. Room 101 is where those who disagree with Big Brother are taken, where they are tortured until their beliefs change. It shows graphic torture with no censorship. Reed Birney and Tom Sturridge are excellent throughout this scene, which demands a lot from both actors. I admire the writers courage to be edgy in putting on such a scene, even if it had made people very uncomfortable. At the performance I was at, several people left during this scene (some running at the speed of light). When I think of this show, Room 101 is what I will remember. Tom Sturridge, as Winston, Olivia Wilde, as Julia, and Reed Birney, as O'Brien, all give brilliant performances in what must be very demanding roles. The lighting design was noteworthy, and stood out above other production aspects. The lighting design was particularly good during Room 101. My criticism with this production of 1984 was that I felt that the use of screen was largely overused. In 1984, certain scenes are filmed live backstage and shown to the audience on a screen. I understand what they were trying to achieve, but I personally wasn't a fan. If I wanted to watch actors on a screen, then I would choose to see a movie. To avoid using the screens so often instead of live acting, perhaps what they could try is to perform the scenes live in front of the audience, but still show them on the screen to keep the effect. My next point is not so much a criticism, but a recommendation: I believe that 1984 could have benefited from having a prologue to help people understand what was going on, as I have to admit, for the first 20 minutes or so I was a little bit confused. That's just a recommendation though, and others may feel differently.

The featured star of 1984 is, drum roll please... TOM STURRIDGE!


I did originally have the idea to give Reed Birney featured star, but after a lot of thought I have chosen Tom. Both Reed and Tom give memorable and phenomenal performances, and they are mostly on a parr. The reason I have chosen Tom is because the role of Winston is an extremely challenging and demanding role, it requires a lot from the actor portraying him. It's amazing to think that Tom does 8 performances a week, it must be very tiring!

Now for my final verdict on 1984. I give 1984...


This decision comes on the basis that it is a unique and very well written play, but has one or two flaws. 1984 will be playing on Broadway until October, so if you want don't want to make Big Brother angry, don't miss your chance to see it!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment