Wednesday 9 August 2017

Review: War Paint

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of War Paint.
The first thing to grab my attention from this show was the stunning performance that Patti LuPone and Christine Ebersole gave at the Tony Awards, back in June this year. Despite the Tony Awards ceremony not being as great as usual, War Paint gave a phenomenal performance and left me really wanting to see the show. After just a few hours in New York, I made my way over to the Nederlander Theatre, where I was able to get some well priced rush tickets. War Paint is an extremely sophisticated and classy production and has the feeling of an old classic, despite it being a new show. The force behind the show and what puts it above other shows on Broadway right now are the phenomenal performances of Patti LuPone as Helena Rubinstein and Christine Ebersole as Elizabeth Arden. They give wonderful characterisations that truly help the audience understand every thought and feeling of their characters. When Patti and Christine are united they are unsurpassed! They make the perfect team, that I doubt many people would be able to match. Adding to their terrific performances are John Dossett as Tommy Lewis and Douglas Sills as Harry Fleming. They also give faultless performances and are a great addition to the show. Despite both characters making poor decisions, I could still understand their thought process, which was due to the superb performances given. The rest of the cast are all also excellent; the show features many stunning actors, singers and dancers. The storyline of War Paint follows the two women responsible for make-up becoming so popular and it is absolutely fascinating. Against all odds, these two women changed the world for better or worse, whilst competing with each other to become the best in the business. Every song from the show is brilliant and I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to the cast album. War Paint has a large amount of memorable tunes; I would be very surprised to hear if someone had disliked the score. I have personally found 'Face to Face' a moving and memorable song; it's been in my head ever since I saw the show a week and a half ago. The set, lighting and costume design were all done to the best extent possible and were extremely impressive. In my eyes, this show is perfect in all aspects. The cast is great, the music is great, the storyline is great and the design is great. All round, it's a terrific show!

The featured star of War Paint is, drum roll please... PATTI LUPONE!


Patti and Christine's performances are practically equal and it was really hard to choose a favourite. However, having to choose only one, I had to go with Patti. Patti LuPone is someone I have heard so much about. Before seeing War Paint, I had most likely heard or read her name over 100 times! I was really struck by her performance, she translated Helena very well to the audience. I felt that I could understand all of what Helena had gone through and all of her motivation to do what she does. In addition to this, I was extremely impressed at Patti's ability to sing with a Polish accent. 

Now for my final verdict on War Paint. I give War Paint...


This decision was easy for me. A 4 star is a standard good show which I give high recommendation to; War Paint fits this category perfectly!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment