Wednesday 20 July 2016

Review: The Comedy About A Bank Robbery

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of The Comedy About A Bank Robbery.
After Mischief Theatre's big hits 'The Play That Goes Wrong' and 'Peter Pan Goes Wrong', they have returned to the West End with a new play, but not one that goes wrong. Instead they have created a play which is basically... a comedy about a bank robbery. I had seen The Play That Goes Wrong 2 times so was curious to see this. What was interesting was that the writers seemed to take a step out of their comfort zones to write this show, and I really do think it works.. Sometimes it is really good to see writers step out of their comfort zones and see what they do. I thought the show provided a clever concept and I laughed my socks off! I'm not usually a huge fan of slapstick comedy, but I found it impossible not to laugh. It is definitely one of the best comedies in the West End at the moment. The cast features Henry Shields as Mitch Ruscitti, Charlie Russell as Caprice Freeboys, Dave Hearn as Sam Monaghan, Henry Lewis as Robin Freeboys, Jonathan Sayer as Warren Slax, Greg Tannahill as Neil Cooper, Nancy Wallinger as Ruth Monaghan, Jeremy Lloyd as Officer Randal Shuck and Steven Rostance who was understudying as Everyone Else. The show has such a great cast who all work so well with each other. They all really gel together. A nice surprise was that the set was fantastic, I did not expect this show to have such a good set. Costumes and the lighting design were also fantastic. The show added music, sung live onstage, during scene changes which I thought had a good effect. I am not sure this show will appeal to everyone as the humour features a lot slapstick so please keep this in mind. If you're like me and don't mind slapstick too much then I'd definitely recommend it. It's so much fun to watch!

The featured star of The Comedy About A Bank Robbery is, drum roll please... DAVE HEARN!


Dave was perfect for playing 'Sam', I really enjoyed his portrayal of the character, he was the highlight of the show for me! Funnily enough, just before writing this review I read an article of dream casting for Hamilton when it comes to London and this person said Dave would make a great King George. I would have to agree! I don't know whether Dave is a good singer, but he definitely has the comic timing that is needed for the role of King George.

Now for my final verdict on The Comedy About A Bank Robbery. I give The Comedy About A Bank Robbery...


That is now the end of my theatre marathon, I'm glad I ended on a funny note with this play. The play is currently booking until April next year and it doesn't look like it'll be closing any time soon, the West End is lucky to have this comedy!

Think it should've got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should've got a lower rating? If so comment below. 

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment