Monday 11 July 2016

Review: Brideshead Revisited

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Birdeshead Revisited.
I must admit, originally I was a little reluctant to go, due to the quality of some productions I have seen at Richmond this year being very hit and miss, but my Mum really wanted to go so I decided to go along. I am so happy I did, because otherwise I would've missed out on one of the best productions I have seen at Richmond for a long time. The play had a really strong cast, who all had great chemistry. They were each  and every one very good actors in their own ways and all played their roles so convincingly. The cast featured Brian Ferguson as Charles Ryder, Christopher Simpson as Sebastian Flyte, Rosie Hilal as Julia Flyte, Nick Blakeley as Anthony Blanche, Father Mackay and Samgrass, Caroline Harker as Lady Marchmain and Nanny, Samantha Lawson as Cara and Celia, Kiran Sonia Sawar as Cordelia Flyte, Paul Shelley as Lord Marchmain and Mr. Ryder and Shuna Snow as Bridey Flyte, Kurt and Rex Mottram. The show is set during the midst of World War II, Captain Charles Ryder finds his past and present blur as he confronts memories of his first youthful encounter with the Marchmain family at Brideshead Castle. Falling under the spell of their privileged lives, Charles looks back at the way his own life would be changed forever by the summers spent with the seemingly charming Sebastian and his beautiful sister Julia. I found it really interesting to watch Charles Ryder's life and I was so engrossed in the story. You really couldn't help but feel empathy for the character. The show is really well directed and cleverly staged. The set is rather basic, but it is used very masterfully so it is very effective. Lighting and costumes were also both really well designed. The play is very West End worthy, so I wouldn't be surprised of a transfer! The only negative of the show that I can think of is I felt Christopher Simpson was really underused. He is such an astounding actor and sadly in act two he is not in the play that often and I was left wanting more of his performance.

The featured star of Brideshead Revisted is, drum roll please... CHRISTOPHER SIMPSON!


I found that Christopher completely stole the show and managed to really capture the charm of his character, Sebastian. I would've loved for him to have been written in to act two a little bit more, but I am still so glad I got to see his performance.

Now for my final verdict on Brideshard Revisited. I give Brideshead Revisited...


Sadly the Brideshead Revisited tour has come to an end and I am very fortunate I was able to see it. As I said, this production is really West End worthy so fingers crossed for a transfer!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment