Sunday 17 July 2016

Review: Titanic

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Titanic
Titanic had been on my 'wish-list' for quite some time now, so finally decided to see it as part of my theatre marathon! I wasn't really quite sure what to expect as I knew it was a small theatre, so I went in with an open mind. To round up my thoughts after the show: "Oh my god, WOW!". The score is utter perfection. Since seeing the show last Wednesday I have been listening to the Original Broadway Cast Recording and the music, which even without any singing, tells a story by itself. My favourites from the score were 'Barret's Song' and 'We'll Meet Tomorrow'. Both songs are really well written and I just haven't been able to get them out of my head. It was definitely one of the best score's I have heard for a while. There have been a lot of people suggesting this should go to a bigger theatre, and as much as I feel it deserves to play to a bigger audience I really think a small intimate theatre works for this show. I had heard the show was good, but I didn't quite realise how good before seeing it. Cast members who stood out were Philip Rham as Captain Smith, Siôn Lloyd as Andrews, David Bardsley as Ismay, Niall Sheehy as Barrett, Matthew Crowe as Bride, Dudley Rogers as Isidor Straus, Judith Street as Ida Straus, Claire Machin as Alice Beane, Peter Prentice as Edgar Beane, Shane McDaid as Jim Farrell and Victoria Serra as Kate McGowan. The cast are all so stunning, great acting, great singing and great dancing from each and every one of them, a faultless cast! The lighting design is without a doubt one of the best designs I have seen at a show and it really delivers at the show's 'big moment'. Costumes were also well designed. I read one review calling the show one of the best staged productions in London and I honestly cannot argue with that statement. I was really eager to see how they would handle the sinking and I was not disappointed. I was in tears throughout all of act two, it really was devastating to see all of these people lose their lives and it makes you stop and think... what would you do in that situation? The show delivered such a powerful message. The only negative I have about the show is act one perhaps went on for too long. In a way, it's act one and act two were similar to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Both acts use the first act, which is longer than act two, to establish who everyone is and then act two has the big event. Both Charlie and Titanic would benefit from shorter act one's, but Titanic's act one was still a lot more enjoyable than Charlie's.

The featured star of Titanic is, drum roll please... SIÔN LLOYD!


Sion performs the show-stopping number 'Mr. Andrews Vision' and he does not disappoint. Throughout the show I was having difficulty picking a favourite, but after watching Siôn's performance of this song it was obvious who my choice would be. I was completely blown away by this song, especially the ending. It was the best solo song I have seen since Jessie Mueller's 'She Used To Be Mine' in Waitress on Broadway. Was really impressed with everything from the show-stopping number, Siôn's emotion he shows throughout the song, the music and lyrics and the big ending to the number.

Now for my final verdict on Titanic. I give Titanic...


So happy I included this on my theatre marathon as it was so great to finally see it. For those that are interested in seeing Titanic, it is playing at the Charing Cross Theatre until 13th August.

Agree with my rating? Think it should've got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment