Saturday 2 July 2016

Review: Heartbeat

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Heartbeat.
I have to be honest, this show wasn't particularly a favourite of mine. I'd read mixed things about the show but went in with an open-mind, to find myself being a little bit disappointed. It's an odd play, because there were some badly written scenes with bad acting, however there were some really funny scenes with good acting. I'd say by the end of the play, the good and bad was split 50/50, but the bad side stuck in my mind more. The show got off to a really slow start which was hard to sit through, to be fair though it did get better. Some actors chose to overact a little, while others chose to act normally and didn't all gel. I had never watched the TV show prior to seeing the play, which I wondered may be the reason the show wasn't to my liking. I decided to look online to see what other people, who were fans of the TV show, thought of the play and it seemed to divide opinions. This seemed to be a show where you loved it or hated it. I really do think that some people would enjoy it and could definitely understand why they would as it would bring nostalgia. Despite disliking certain parts of the show, I did find it quite entertaining. Actors who stood out were David Lonsdale as David Stockwell, Steven Blakeley as PC Geoff Younger, Matt Millburn as PC Joe Malton, David Horne as Bernie Scripps and Callum O'Neill as Aidan McGuire. David Lonsdale and Steven Blakeley both had great coming timing and I found them to be the saving graces of the show. Act two did get a lot better and at the end of the day I was still glad I went. It wasn't a bad play, just not a great one, but it was nevertheless entertaining.

The featured star of Heartbeat is, drum roll please... STEVEN BLAKELEY!


I was torn on whether to give 'featured star' to Steven or David Lonsdale, but I just have to go with Steven. I really think he did such a great job and absolutely saved the show. 

Now for my final verdict on Heartbeat. I give Heartbeat...


I'm really not quite sure what to make of the play, as I'm sure you can tell. I did enjoy it, but there was some bad acting and writing which were hard to forget about. As I said, it really is 50/50 when it comes to good and bad.

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment