Sunday 3 January 2016

Review: Annie

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Annie.
This is a show I've been wanting to see for a long, long time! Originally I was going to see Annie in Wimbledon, but sadly I had so much going on at the time I never got the chance. Then I was going to see it in Woking but it was all sold-out! It was a show I really wanted to see so I looked up where else it was on and I saw that it would be in Oxford starring Jodie Prenger (who I had seen previously in Oliver and Calamity Jane). With my family, we made the hour's trip to Oxford, on New Years Day, which I can gladly say was worth it! The show was spectacular and 100x better than I expected. Based on a famous American cartoon strip of the 1930s, this musical tells of Little Orphan Annie who escapes from the home run by the dreadful Miss Hannigan and not only changes the life of millionaire Daddy Warbucks but manages to influence President Roosevelt too! The show was excellently casted. Cast members who stood out for me were Madeleine Haynes as Annie, Jodie Prenger as Miss. Hannigan, Alex Bourne as Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks, Holly Dale Spencer as Grace Farrell, Jonny Fines as Rooster, Djalenga Scott as Lily, Callum McArdle as Lt. Ward and Franklin Roosevelt and the adult and child ensemble. Madeleine Haynes has a stunning voice and was a very good choice for Annie. Jodie Prenger is fabulous as always. I love all the music and choreography, with my favourite song being 'Easy Street'. The set was fairly simple, but worked very well. The cast gelled really well together. This is far superior to a LOT of West End and Broadway shows I see, *cough* Fun Home *cough*. I also loved Amber the dog who was playing Sandy and she has made me want to get my own dog. The set and lighting were well-done. This was a great show to start off 2016 and I am so glad I went!

The featured star of Annie is, drum roll please... MADELEINE HAYNES!


Madeleine has a bright future as she is an amazing actor, singer and dancer. She is even more talented than most Olivier and Tony Award winners!

Now for my final verdict on Annie. I give Annie... 


The tour will be going on till June so there's no reason why you shouldn't see this amazing production!

Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Peter Pan. 

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment