Sunday 3 January 2016

Review: Guys and Dolls (Dec 2015)

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Guys and Dolls.
Happy new year everyone! To begin my London New Year Theatre Marathon I decided to see Guys and Dolls on New Years Eve. I studied this show last year at school so it was interesting to finally see it live. The storyline for those who have yet to see the show is: Nathan Detroit is desperate: he needs money for an illegal dice game, and he needs it fast. Not to mention a 14 year engagement with night-club singer Miss Adelaide whose patience is finally running out. Enter notorious gambler Sky Masterson, a guy who can never turn down a bet, and straight-laced missionary Sarah Brown, a doll with a heart of ice. The wager: Sky has to romance Sarah by taking her to Havana for dinner and in return he'll provide a dozen 'sinners' for Sarah's mission. Surely this is one bet Nathan absolutely can't lose? Cast members who stood out for me were David Haig as Nathan Detroit, Jamie Parker as Sky Masterson, Siubhan Harrison as Sister Sarah Brown, Gavin Spokes as Nicely-Nicely Johnson, Neil McCaul as Arvide Abernathy, Nic Greenshields as Big Jule and Giovanni Spano who was understudying as Harry the Horse. There was really good chemistry between Jamie Parker and Siubahn Harrison. The scene based in Havana is excellently choreographed and cleverly done. It's a show that has a feel-good factor and has great comedy aspects.  They are still in previews, so here is some constructive criticism to help them before opening night. I found Sophie Thompson's accent as Miss. Adelaide really annoying as it was a little too screechy. If I'm honest, it gave me a little bit of a headache. I also think all the songs and dances during the 'Hot Box' scenes need work on as they felt a little messy. It's a shame, because the rest of the choreography in the show is great. I think diction and lighting could also be worked on a little more. I do think honestly that perhaps Guys and Dolls could do with a little bit of a revamp, as some revivals do. I am really glad I went to see this show and it was a lovely end to 2015!

The featured star of Guys and Dolls is, drum roll please... JAMIE PARKER!


Jamie was perfectly cast in the role of Sky Masterson. He was an amazing actor and an astounding singer. I hope to see him in his next project 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'.

Now for my final verdict on Guys and Dolls. I give Guys and Dolls... 


Guys and Dolls was a great way to spend New Years Eve and I hope everyone has a great New Year!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Annie.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment