Sunday 20 August 2017

Review: Spamilton

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Spamilton.
Before heading to the Windy City of Chicago, I had a long search online to look up what was happening on the Chicago Theatre scene during the few days I was on holiday there. Being the Hamilfan I am, Spamilton was very appealing to me. I went to the Royal George Theatre to see what the ticket situation was like and I was able to get a student rush ticket, so I saw Spamilton on my first night in Chicago. It was also a good time to see it, considering I was seeing Hamilton 4 days later. Spamilton is an extremely well written show and is fantastically witty. Spamilton takes on a large amount of musicals (including Hamilton, Gypsy, Chicago, The King and I, Assassins, Camelot, The Book of Mormon and Sweeney Todd), but re-writes the lyrics to add humour and to make them revolve around Hamilton and its original Broadway cast. An example of this would be, the show features the song 'Finishing the Hat' (from Sunday in the Park with George), but changes the song to make it 'Finishing the Rap'. The lyrics that feature in Spamilton are the cleverest I have seen in quite a while. In my spare time, I love searching up musical theatre songs that have been re-written for humour, so this made Spamilton ideal for me. Spamilton is performed by a cast consisting of Yando Lopez, Eric Andrew Lewis, Becca Brown, Donterrio Johnson, David Robbins and Adam LaSalle. The cast are truly outstanding. They provide non-stop laughs, and if that wasn't enough, they all have phenomenal singing voices. They're voices were so good, that I would even say that they are better singers than some actors I have seen in the West End and on Broadway. This cast of seven gelled very well with each other and all complimented each other's talents nicely. Every single one of them brings a very special quality to the show. The Royal George Theatre had a very small stage and therefore no real set, except for a poster saying 'Spamilton'. This means the actors have to work extra-hard to transport you to their world, which they did excellently. Spamilton has a fairly small budget, which the cast mention themselves during the opening song, so I went in not expecting too much from any of the design aspects. However, to my surprise, the costumes were brilliant. They were very detailed and fantastically designed, so that was an extremely pleasant surprise. I had the time of my life at Spamilton and would urge all theatre fans, whether you live in New York or Chicago, to go and see Spamilton. It is a must-see for all theatre fans!

The featured star of Spamilton is, drum roll please... BECCA BROWN!


All 7 actors in Spamilton was very, very talented, so this was always going to be a hard one to choose. However, having seen Spamilton a week and a half ago, the actor who is the most memorable is Becca. She has to play a total of 12 characters, more than any other actor in the show. Despite this, all 12 characters felt very unique and each character she brought in was hilarious. In addition, she definitely has the strongest voice within the cast. Maybe Becca will join Hamilton someday!

Now for my final verdict on Spamilton. I give Spamilton...


Spamilton is a definitive 4 star; a good show which I would highly recommend!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below. 

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment