Sunday 20 August 2017

Review: An American in Paris (US Tour)

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of An American in Paris.
I had seen An American in Paris on Broadway, and I was planning to see it again in London, so I did not originally intend on seeing the US Tour of An American in Paris during my time in Chicago. However, just by pure coincidence, my hotel was right next door to the Oriental Theatre. I decided to just go to the theatre and enquire about tickets, and I found out that $25 rush tickets were available. How could I refuse?
I adored the show on Broadway, and I know from experience that tours are usually very downscales, so I was a little wary that it would not be as good. I am over the moon to report that this tour is just as good as the Broadway show, and I enjoyed myself even more second time around! There were no major changes that lessened the show and some of the cast members were even better than the Broadway cast I saw! The highlight of An American in Paris is the choreography. In my eyes, An American in Paris is the second best choreographed show I have ever seen (my personal number one favourite for choreography is Hamilton). The choreography is stunning from beginning to end and it is what makes the show as mesmerising as it is. The score of An American in Paris is very special. I have had the cast album of the show since I saw it on Broadway last August and it is one of my favourites to listen to. My personal favourites from the score are " 'S wonderful" and "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise". Sara Esty, who portrays Lise Dassin, reminded me so much of Leanne Cope, the original Lise. Sara sounds and looks like Leanne; they could be twins! Sara's dancing is utter perfection and cannot be faulted in any way. She also has a beautiful singing voice and is a fantastic actress; a triple threat! The role of Jerry Mulligan is currently being portrayed by McGee Maddox, and he is also a phenomenal dancer and singer. He seemed to be very suited to the role. In the role of Adam Hochberg is Etai Benson. I felt that I understood the character of Adam more than I did when I saw it on Broadway. This time around, I picked up on the troubles Adam was facing after being a solider at war, and therefore I felt more sympathetic towards the character. Nick Spangler is in the role of Henri Baurel, and I actually preferred his portrayal to Max Von Essen's, who performed the role on Broadway. Nick made the characters emotions and motivations clearer, which made him more relatable and likeable. He also reminded me of a young David Hyde Pierce. As I mentioned earlier, after a show has been on Broadway and begins to tour, it general becomes very downscaled. However, An American in Paris seems to be an exception, as it still excels in set, lighting and costume design, which was a very pleasant surprise. This is an absolutely marvellous production and I urge all to go and see it if you have the chance. An American in Paris is going to several other locations throughout 2017 and 2018, so make sure to take a look on your website, as anyone who sees this is on for a real treat.

The featured star of An American in Paris is, drum roll please... SARA ESTY!


All cast members are amazing, but Sara's performance is something very special. It can be very rare nowadays to find a triple threat (amazing at acting, singing and dancing) and that's what makes Sara's performance so unique. I would be very interested to see which show Sara joins next, as any show would be very lucky to have her.

Now for my final verdict on An American in Paris. I give An American in Paris...


I haven't given any show 5 stars since April, so I think my rating speaks for itself. This is one of the best shows around at this moment in time; I adore it! Everything in the show is absolutely perfect and there are no flaws whatsoever!

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment