Thursday 17 August 2017

Review: Bandstand

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Bandstand.
After seeing a few clips of Bandstand on both the internet and on TV, I had a read of the synopsis to see if it was a show I would be interested in. It sounded like the type of show I would like, so on my second day in New York I headed to the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre and got some rush seats. I am pleased to say that Bandstand certainly lived up to my expectations and I had a brilliant time! Set in the smoke filled, swing fueled night clubs of 1945, Bandstand brings the against-all-odds story of singer/songwriter Donny Novitski and his band of mismatched fellow WWII veterans to the stage. The story is extremely moving and it truly helps people to understand what a difficult time veterans can have when they return from fighting for their country. Bandstand has given me a deep appreciation for what our veterans have done and we must never forget all that they do, and have done, for us. I believe that Bandstand has the power to inspire others and encourage people to follow their dreams, despite what may have occurred in the past. The story is accompanied by a wonderful big band score, featuring many memorable tunes composed by Richard Oberacker and Robert Taylor. Every single cast member from this show gives an incredible performance, with stand-outs being Laura Osnes as Julia Trojan, Corey Cott as Donny Novitski, Beth Leavel as June Adams, Joe Carroll as Johnny Simpson, Brandon J. Ellis as Davy Zlatic, James Nathan Hopkins as Jimmy Campbell, Geoff Packard as Wayne Wright and Joey Pero as Nick Radel. The cast play their own instruments, which makes Bandstand a great showcase for the cast's talents. All great actors, all great singers and all great dancers! The Tony Award winning choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler is thrilling. I have seen Andy Blankenbuehler's work in both Hamilton and Cats and I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of his. His movement based choreography is fantastically done, he is one of the best choreographers on both the West End and Broadway at this moment in time. The lighting, costume and set design were all very noteworthy too. They all suit the era that Bandstand is set in extremely well. Sadly, Bandstand posted closing notice the other day which is a real shame as I think this is an outstanding show, but as the old saying goes, all good things must come to an end. I hope that Bandstand will have a life beyond Broadway; fingers crossed for a West End transfer!

The featured star of Bandstand is, drum roll please... LAURA OSNES!


For Bandstand, the option of featured star was between Corey Cott and Laura Osnes, who are both equally talented. At the end of act one, I would have most likely chosen Corey, however by the end of the show Laura's performance left a really big impression on me so I decided to choose her. Laura was perfectly cast in the role of Julia. Her acting and singing was utter perfection, it was a mesmerising performance.

Now for my final verdict on Bandstand. I give Bandstand...


Bandstand is a definitive four star in my eyes. It is a high quality show and I would definitely recommend that people see it before it closes on September 17th.

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

2 comments:

  1. I was bummed that this closed before I made it to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame that Bandstand closed so soon. The best ones always go quickly! :(

      Delete