Wednesday 17 August 2016

Review: On Your Feet

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of On Your Feet.
I originally had On Your Feet planned last time I was in the Big Apple, but sadly didn't get the chance to see it due to limited time. This time I finally got to see it and I am so happy I got this chance, because it was sensational! The show is so much fun, I left the theatre with a big smile on my face. I would like to start by talking about the music. WOW... the music! I was not too familiar with the music, the only songs I'd heard were from the show's trailer, but I left the show becoming a big fan of Gloria Estefan. It's music that just makes you want to get up and dance. The music is assisted by a phenomenal orchestra and a very good sound design. Cast members who stood out were Ana Vilafañe as Gloria Estefan, Ektor Rivera as Emilio Estefan, Doreen Montalvo who was understudying as Gloria Fajardo and Alma Cuervo as Consuelo García. There was quite a bit of upset when Ana wasn't nominated for the Tony Award so was very curious to see her performance myself. After seeing her, I can say with 100% certainty that I am shocked she wasn't nominated. She was a superstar! She has a phenomenal voice, she is such a good actress and is also a great dancer. A triple threat, she is the perfect leading lady! The brilliant choreography, which won the Outer Critics Circle Award and Fred and Adele Astaire Award, is absolutely faultless. I would also like to say kudos to Doreen Montalvo who was perfect understudying as Gloria Fajardo. I really love seeing understudies as they always put 110% in. Almost every performance by an understudy I have ever seen have been exceptions to this rule and in some cases I have found them to be better than the full time performers. I was also a big fan of the lighting, set design, staging and I found it to be a really fascinating storyline to follow. One of the things I love about theatre so much is that you can be greatly educated about certain subjects, I came out of On Your Feet knowing Gloria Estefan's life story. It is the perfect formula for a musical, I loved every second! If you aren't a fan of jukebox musicals, there is no denying that this show is so much fun!

The featured star of On Your Feet is, drum roll please... ANA VILAFAÑE!


I was seriously impressed with Ana's performance, she is one of my favourite leading actresses of the year so far. She was exceptional! This is not a performance I will be forgetting any time soon.

Now for my final verdict on On Your Feet. I give On Your Feet...


I give this rating because I haven't had so much fun at a musical in ages, and at the end of the show everyone is 'on their feet'. There is no faulting this show, I thought it was the perfect formula for a musical!

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Sense and Sensibility. 

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment