Wednesday 31 August 2016

Review: The Bodyguard

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of The Bodyguard.
I saw The Bodyguard exactly (give or take a few days) two years ago, on it's closing night at the Adelphi Theatre, after it had just finished a two year run. It is now back in the West End for a limited run in the Dominion Theatre and the show is in great shape! I'm over the moon that I was able to go again as it is such a phenomenal show. Despite knowing the story well from last time, I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire show. I don't know why, because I knew what was going to happen, but I was even getting goosebumps! It's such a good storyline, I loved every second! At the performance I was at Beverley Knight was absent and in her place was Carole Stennett in the role of Rachel Marron. She was utterly brilliant! I've said it 100 times before and I'll say it again, understudies are the best! I always really love seeing an understudy, I always know they'll give the performance 110%. Just because someone is an understudy doesn't mean they are any less good than the full-time performer (in most cases they are even better), but sometimes it is just down to being in the right place at the right time that can lead to someone getting the role full-time. Carole is perfection in this role, really good acting, phenomenal voice and a great dancer, the perfect leading lady! If I dare say it, I thought she was even better than Alexandra Burke, who I saw in the role when I first saw the show. Other cast members who stood out were Ben Richards as Frank Farmer, Rachel John as Nicki Marron and Matthew Stathers as The Stalker. All the cast were exceptional, there was not one weak link! They are also assisted by a brilliant orchestra. The music is amazing, I love every single song in the show. 'I Will Always Love You' was a real stunner and excellently sung by Carole Stennet. The show features some top-notch choreographer and I think it is very well directed. The more 'frightening' scenes are done perfectly. The lighting and set design is also very impressive. Rachel John has a really powerful and stunning voice and if she isn't cast as Angelica in Hamilton when the show comes to London I will not be a happy reviewer! ;) I seriously cannot fault anything with this show, every bit of it is perfect! Sadly the show is only having a limited run, which I find a real shame as it deserves to run and run!

The featured star of The Bodyguard is, drum roll please... CAROLE STENNETT!


Carole is incredible, she really deserves to be playing the role full time! Carole is yet another understudy who gives a performance of perfection, she is amazing in the role!

Now for my final verdict on The Bodyguard. I give The Bodyguard...


I give this rating because I think the show is perfect in every way, people need to run to the box office before this shuts again!

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment