Tuesday 16 August 2016

Review: Cats (Broadway)

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Cats.
As some of you may have read on my Twitter (@thereviewer23) last week I was in the Big Apple (one of my favourite places on Earth)! I was lucky enough to see 6 shows, beginning with the new revival of the old classic 'Cats'. I've loved Cats since I was really young, I've had the DVD since around the age of 6. My family even travelled to Luxembourg to see a touring production.  Cats was recently in London, however I was not a huge fan of the London production due to the addition of a rap number. I'm a big fan of rap (well I'm a big fan of Hamilton anyway), but Cats and rap didn't go well together. Luckily for the new production the decision was made to cut it (hooray). I really do think this was the right decision. It's good to make changes to a musical when you revive it, but it needs to be a change for the better. The show features new choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler, which caused some controversy due to replacing old choreographer Gillian Lyne (who really got her claws out when she heard the news). I actually loved the new choreography and felt it was definitely a change for the better. I'm a big fan of Andy Blankenbuehler's work in Hamilton so it was great to see more work of his. I think Andy is a really talented choreographer and I can't wait to see more of his work. Cast members who stood out were Leona Lewis as Grizabella, Andy Huntington Jones as Munkustrap, Quentin Earl Darrington as Old Deuteronomy, Tyler Hanes as The Rum Tum Tugger, Ricky Ubeda as Mr. Mistoffelees, Daniel Gaymon as Macavity and Arianna Rosario as Sillabub. The whole cast are absolutely phenomenal, it was so great to see such a talented group of singers and dancers onstage. Each and every one of them were so talented. The costumes and make-up, as they always are in Cats, were incredible. I thought the lighting design was amazing and may even pick up a Tony award for it, if not at least a nomination. I was a big fan of the set as well, which jumps out at you the second you walk into the theatre. Now on to Leona Lewis, who was brought into the production last minute after Nicole Scherzinger dropped out. Leona was panned in most reviews, but I went in with an open mind. I do not think Leona deserved to be panned, however there is a lot of room for improvement with her performance. Her singing is mesmerising, she brings the house down with 'Memory', it completely and utterly stuns. The room for improvement is with her movement. Her cat-like movement comes across as really stiff and unnatural, but I definitely think this is something that could easily be worked on. The more performances Leona does, the more she'll improve.

The featured star of Cats is, drum roll please... ANDY HUNTINGTON JONES!


This was a really, really tough choice as Cats is an ensemble piece and all the cast were terrific. After seeing the show 8 days ago, Andy remains in my memory the most. Andy gives a really good performance as Munkustrap and, if I had to choose, would be my favourite Munkustrap of all time!

Now for my final verdict on Cats. I give Cats...


I give this rating because overall it is a great production with a good cast, set, costumes, lighting and choreography... but Leona Lewis could use some help for her cat like movement as she does stick out for this reason alone.

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing An American in Paris

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment