Friday 19 August 2016

Review: Cagney

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Cagney.
As I said in my Sense and Sensibility review, there really isn't much on Broadway at the moment so during my NY theatre marathon I decided to see what shows were Off-Broadway. I asked an American friend (shoutout to Broadway Bob!) if there were any new good shows Off-B.Way at the moment and he said that he had heard good word of mouth about Cagney, so off to Cagney we went. The show has a great trailer, so I was really excited and curious as to what this show would be like. The show features a lot of tap-dancing, all of which astonishing! It was well choreographed and the cast were fantastic tappers (is that even a word?), all of the tap was perfect. I used to go to a theatre school, where I learnt tap dancing and the show really made me want to take it up again. I left the theatre inspired! The show features a cast of 6, including Robert Creighton as James Cagney, with Jeremy Benton, Danette Holden, Bruce Sabeth, Josh Walden and Ellen Zolezzi all playing several roles. I thought Robert Creighton was remarkable! He was so perfect for the role, amazing at acting, singing and dancing. He wrote the music and the lyrics for the show, which I loved as he seemed to have such a connection with the character, which reminded me of Lin-Manuel Miranda and Hamilton. The rest of the cast were also brilliant, they all worked really well together. Sometimes actors playing several roles at at time can be difficult, but I felt Cagney handled it very well and differentiated the characters perfectly. I think the music was really well written and I was informed at stage door that they are doing a cast album. I cannot wait for this to be released, I really hope it will be coming out sooner than later (and that it'll be available to those of us in the UK). I found Cageny's life to be such an interesting story to follow, it's so great to see how he rose from a son of an Irish immigrant struggling with his Mum to pay the bills to a big Hollywood star. I didn't have any prior knowledge about James Cagney before seeing the show, but I would love to see one of his movies now. I think this production could do very well if it toured, especially if it toured in the UK ;)

The featured star of Cagney is, drum roll please... ROBERT CREIGHTON!


Robert is the perfect leading man and gave a Broadway quality performance. He was perfect for this role in every way and I am so happy he got nominated for a Drama Desk Award because he really deserved it!

Now for my final verdict on Cagney. I give Cagney...


I give this rating because the show has a great cast, with lovely songs and a good storyline. It doesn't quite get 5 stars, but it is very, very close!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I absolutely loved this original musical by Robert Creighton. He is PERFECT as CAGNEY, and has assembled a wonderful cast. I particularly loved Jeremy Benton's portrayal of Bob Hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Robert Creighton is very talented; a great actor, singer, dancer and writer!

      Delete