Thursday 9 June 2016

Review: Waitress

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Waitress.
WOW! WOW, WOW WOW! Ever since watching clips of the show online, I have been dying to go and see Waitress and last Thursday I finally went! I was completely amazed and it is one of the best shows I have ever seen. I'm not even sure if words can describe how good it was, but I'll try! There is something so special about this musical, everything works so well! The synopsis is: 'Jenna is a waitress and expert pie maker stuck in a small town and a loveless marriage. Faced with an unexpected pregnancy, Jenna fears she may have to abandon the dream of opening her own pie shop forever… until a baking contest in a nearby county and the town's handsome new doctor offer her a tempting recipe for happiness. Supported by her quirky crew of fellow waitresses and loyal customers, Jenna summons the secret ingredient she’s been missing all along – courage. ' The cast are all incredible and really well-matched, with not one weak link in the cast. The cast features Jessie Mueller as Jenna, Keala Settle as Becky, Kimko Glenn as Dawn, Drew Gehling as Dr. Pomatter, Nick Cordero as Earl, Dakin Matthews as Joe, Eric Anderson as Cal and Christopher Fitzgerald as Ogie, a great ensemble and a fantastic orchestra. I absolutely adore the music and luckily for me the cast album came out the day after I saw the show, perfect timing! I've had the album on repeat ever since, the music is enchanting. It took me ages to decide, but eventually I decided my favourite songs are 'Opening Up', 'Never Ever Getting Rid of Me' and 'She Used to Be Mine'. Jessie Mueller gives one of the best, if not THE BEST, performances I have ever seen in musical theatre. I was crying my eyes out during her rendition of 'She Used to Be Mine'. I am really surprised I have not heard more people raving about this performance because I was completely and utterly stunned. Christopher Fitzgerald gives a real show-stealing performance and is utter perfection. This is the perfect role to showcase his great talents. The costumes, set and lighting were all designed really well and the show was excellently choreographed. This show deserves all the praise in the world and sadly with the Tony's becoming the Hamiltony's this year, it may not get the praise it deserves, which is a real shame but I hope that his show has a really long run. I could go on and on about how incredible this show is, but I'll stop there so this review doesn't become too long!

The featured star of Waitress is, drum roll please... JESSIE MUELLER


I found this performance so moving, I actually can't remember a better performance I have seen in musical theatre. This is a performance of a lifetime in a role Jessie was born to play!

Now for my final verdict on Waitress. I give Waitress...


I urge people to run to the theatre to buy tickets and if in a different country to buy the cast album. I loved this show so much and I really, really want the show to transfer to the West End. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Sadly, that is the end of my New York reviews. I love Broadway so much, the shows are so spectacular over there and I can't wait to go again! Join me next time when I will be reviewing Show Boat.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Christopher Fitzgerald was inspiring as Ogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob! Christopher Fitzgerald was certainly a terrific Ogie!

      Delete