Tuesday 7 June 2016

Review: The Judas Kiss

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of The Judas Kiss.
I continuously debated whether or not to make the trek to Brooklyn to see Rupert Everett perform in The Judas Kiss, but eventually decided I had nothing to lose and just headed to the theatre! I certainly made the right decision as I found the show to be really fascinating and interesting. The show is an insight into Oscar Wilde's relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas. Focusing on two critical moments in Wilde's last years; the eve of his arrest at the Cadogan Hotel and a night in Naples after his release from two years imprisonment. The Judas Kiss speculates on the consequences of his self destructive fatalism, betrayal and love without trust. The courage and bravery shown by Oscar Wilde is truly inspirational and the play has really made me want to find out more about him. Rupert Everett, in the role of Oscar Wilde, captures the audience's hearts and really plays the role convincingly. In his portrayal, he had the audience on a string and made everyone feel such compassion for Wilde. His performance is worth the ticket price alone! I was a little wary about going to the show, as I wasn't overly keen on David Hare's (playwright of The Judas Kiss) play 'Skylight', but I was really pleasantly surprised. The rest of the cast were also very good, with Charlie Rowe as Lord Alfred Douglas (Bosie) and Cal Macaninch as Robert Ross standing out. The set, lighting and costumes were all very well designed and each worked extremely well. The play is exceptionally well written and it was good to have some occasional comic relief. Between David Hare's fantastic writing and Rupert Everrett's stunning acting, this is a perfect combo! The only criticism I have for the show is that it was occasionally hard to follow, but I don't know if anyone had the same problem. It took me around 20 minutes to get fully into the show as well. I hope that people in Manhattan don't get put off seeing the play, as it is certainly worth the journey. I can guarantee a great night out at the theatre!

The featured star of The Judas Kiss is, drum roll please... RUPERT EVERETT!


I was completely captivated by this performance. The emotion shown by Rupert is unbelievable, this is a performance I won't be forgetting any time soon.

Now for my final verdict on The Judas Kiss. I give The Judas Kiss...


Sadly the show closes this Sunday (June 12th) so if this sounds like something you may enjoy, make sure you go before it closes! I'm curious if the play will transfer to Broadway! Just a warning, the play contains nudity, so if this concerns you then this may not be the play for you.

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Waitress.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment