Friday 11 March 2016

Review: Taking An Age

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Taking An Age.
Taking An Age is a new play by the masterminds behind The Old Friend. When I read the synopsis I wasn't 100% convinced, however I am happy to say this show was even better than The Old Friend. Ethan Taylor, the writer of both shows, is a mastermind. His writing never fails to be clever and intriguing. His plays are very intellectually challenging and far better than a lot of plays on West End and Broadway. Honestly, I think this production suits this theatre and doesn't necessarily need a transfer. I feel this is a production that needs a small and intimate theatre so you can be transported to their world. Some problems with big theatres nowadays is that if you are towards the back of the theatre it is hard to be transported. It would still do very well if it did transfer. The show is a really emotional roller-coast and it managed to succeed in reducing my Mum to tears. Taking An Age follows the journey of six friends discovering what it is to grow up as they spend their final Summer together. On the verge of adulthood, some invite change freely into their lives, others resent the idea. How far will some go to hold onto an age? The storyline was very, very clever. The cast of this production were really well casted. They all gelled well together. The cast featured Hannah Morley as Katie, Rebecca Marklynn as Izzi, Simon Stallard as Paul, Joe Parker as Adam, Grace Stone as Rose and Lewis Clarke as Josh. The show lasted an hour and even though this may seem short I thought it was a good length. The show is very well directed by Josh Bromley and the lighting design is phenomenal! There is one scene where a fight breaks out and the lighting during that scene is stunning. There is background music involved during some scenes which is a nice addition.

The featured star of Taking An Age is, drum roll please... REBECCA MARKLYNN!


Rebecca was phenomenal in this role! She shows a strong versatility and was great in the final scene. I hope to see her in more Who Said Theatre productions.

Now for my final verdict on Taking An Age. I give Taking An Age...


Who Said Theatre's productions keep getting better and better! I can't wait for the next production and I am sure it will be another masterpiece.

Join me next time when I will be announcing the Basic Theatre Award results.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer 

No comments:

Post a Comment