Saturday 22 December 2018

Review: Hadestown

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Hadestown.
Hadestown has been receiving a lot of buzz since it first opened at the Royal National Theatre over a month ago. I've read a variety of different responses to this production, and it's been really interesting to see the way in which people have reacted. American responses to this production have been exceedingly positive, with many people claiming that it will sweep at next year's Tony Awards after it transfers in March 2019. On the other hand, British responses have been less unanimous in praise. From what I have read on several online forums, Hadestown appears to be rather divisive.

Hadestown tells the following story: 'In the warmth of summertime, songwriter Orpheus and his muse Eurydice are living it up and falling in love. But as winter approaches, reality sets in: these young dreamers can’t survive on songs alone. Tempted by the promise of plenty, Eurydice is lured to the depths of industrial Hadestown. On a quest to save her, Orpheus journeys to the underworld where their trust is put to a final test.' Sadly, I personally found the book of Hadestown to be its weakest element, and hence why I can understand some have given the show a lukewarm response. Whilst I appreciate the creativity of the concept behind the story, the reason I take issue with the book is because I felt that the vast majority of the main characters were largely underwritten. This caused a domino effect, meaning the lack of character development caused me to feel little sympathy for the show's protagonists. As a result of this, I found myself being unable to fully engross myself in the production. Hadestown certainly has a lot of potential, however the book could do with being tightened before transferring to Broadway, as I feel that this would definitely make the production more compelling. 


Hadestown is entirely sung-through, with a musical score written by Anaïs Mitchell. Whilst not all of the music was to my personal taste, there were a number of songs which I thoroughly enjoyed. One of my personal favourites was 'Wait For Me', which was a true show-stopper. I have listened to this number several times since watching this production and I still greatly admire it.

From the cast, both Eva Noblezada and Amber Gray, in the roles of Eurydice and Persephone respectively, are providing outstanding performances. I had previously seen Noblezada in her stunning West End debut in Miss Saigon several years ago, and once again she is giving a marvellous performance. Noblezada has an absolutely stunning voice which is always a delight to listen to. Meanwhile, Amber Gray's performance may very well be the highlight of the entirety of Hadestown. Gray is giving an enchanting performance; I was fully captivated by her characterisation of Persephone from beginning to end. Gray is a gifted actress, singer and dancer, presenting a stunning portrayal of the Underworld Queen.



Creatively, Hadestown is utterly remarkable. The set design, created by Rachel Hauck, ingeniously uses a number of revolving stage turntables, as well as elevators which allow the characters to disappear into the darkest depths of Hadestown. It helped to add a lot of the effect of the piece and allowed for unique staging. The lighting design, by Bradley King, was also excellent and complimented the set nicely. As well as these qualities, Hadestown also excels at both choreography and orchestrations, with both elements being utterly sublime.

The featured star of Hadestown is, drum roll please... AMBER GRAY!


I had previously seen Gray's stunning performance in Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 as Hélène, and I was thrilled to see her perform once again. Her excellent portrayal of Persephone gives a range of layers to the character, undoubtedly making Persephone the most interesting character in the piece. There are both elements of comedy and tragedy to Persephone, all of which Gray excellently conveys.

Now for my final verdict on Hadestown. I give Hadestown...


Whilst I felt the show could do with tightening its book, the performances of Gray and Noblezada as well as the creative aspects were excellent. Therefore, I decided to award Hadestown with three stars.

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment