Wednesday 17 August 2016

Review: An American in Paris

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of An American in Paris.
I hadn't originally planned to see An American in Paris, due to the fact that it is coming to the West End next March, however I lost the Hamilton lottery and thought it would be a good idea to go and see An American in Paris instead. Boy, am I glad I lost that lottery, because An American in Paris was groundbreaking. WOW WOW WOW! An American in Paris, which has been on Broadway since 2014, breaks new ground by featuring the most ballet in a musical ever. I have never seen anything like it. It was so great to see something so inspiring and original. That's one of the reasons I love Hamilton so much as well, it's great to see a show break new ground. Cast members who stood out were Nathan Madden, who was the alternate, as Jerry Mulligan, Leanne Cope as Lise Dassin, Matthew Scott as Adam Hochberg, Max von Essen as Henri Baurel, Veanne Cox as Madame Baurel and last but not least Jill Paice as Milo Davenport. I was really impressed with Nathan Madden's performance and was very surprised that when I looked in my playbill at intermission that he is the alternate for the role of Jerry. I thought he was absolutely brilliant and did not have a clue that he was the alternate. Leanne Cope is absolutely stunning in the role she was born to play. She does, what is possibly, the best dancing I have ever seen onstage. I couldn't imagine the show without her, she was a real highlight. Funnily enough, I spoke to her at stage door and it turns out she comes from the same small English town that I come from. What are the chances? Leanne will be transferring with the show when it makes it way to London, which I will hopefully get to see again! The choreography is complete and utter perfection and would come very close to my favourite choreography of all time (which is Hamilton). I would love to see more work of this fantastic choreographer's as this was fantastic. The title number 'An American in Paris' completley blows the audience away and is excellently carried out by all of the phenomenal dancers. The costumes, set and lighting were all perfectly designed and I also found the show to be well staged.  The storyline was so interesting to follow and there were some twists I did not expect at all. I really loved the music so much and I couldn't wait to download the album (I did have some problems with wifi to download it, but tried and tried and it eventually worked! YAY). 

The featured star of An American in Paris is, drum roll please... LEANNE COPE!


As I said above, Leanne gives such an incredible performance. Even though she doesn't need to act or sing, when she does she is also great. I wish her good luck at the Olivier Awards when she comes to London next year!

Now for my final verdict on An American in Paris. I give An American in Paris...


I give this rating mainly due to the fact it is so groundbreaking and the show dared to do what not many other shows do. It also features a great cast, songs and some of the best choreography I have ever seen.

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing On Your Feet.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment