Friday 6 May 2016

Review: Mrs. Henderson Presents

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Mrs. Henderson Presents.
Ever since watching Mrs. Henderson Presents performance at the Olivier's I have been really wanting to see this show. The performance completely blew me away and it was my, by far, my favourite part of the award ceremony. On Wednesday I went to London to go and get some day seats for Funny Girl (the evening performance) and wasn't sure how to spend the afternoon. In the end, I decided to get some more day seats to see the matinee of Mrs. Henderson Presents. This show is a really unique piece of theatre and not a show you would usually see in the West End. The show is closing in June and it's a pity the show didn't have a longer run, but I really hope it goes on tour. For those who haven't heard of the show, here's the synopsis: 'It's London, 1937, and recently-widowed eccentric, Laura Henderson, is looking for a way of spending her time and money when her attention falls on a run-down former cinema in Great Windmill Street. Hiring feisty impresario Vivian Van Damm to look after the newly renovated Windmill Theatre, the improbable duo present a bill of non-stop variety acts. But as war looms something more is required to boost morale and box office... When Mrs Henderson comes up with the idea of The Windmill Girls – glamorous young women posing as nude statues – audiences flock. And as the Blitz hits London, The Windmill provides a refuge for all, boasting the spirit-raising slogan "We Never Close".' Cast members who stood out for me were Tracie Bennett as Laura Henderson, Ian Bartholomew as Vivian Van Damm and Emma Williams as Maureen. Tracie Bennett was a really good choice for the role and she was especially good in the song 'Whatever Time I Have', in which she portrayed a lot of emotion. Ian Bartholomew gives such a heartfelt performance. I cannot think of a better choice for this role, Ian was absolutely stunning and his song 'Living in a Dream World' really had the WOW factor. I really think Emma Williams was robbed of that Olivier. I think Lara Pulver is really good in Gypsy, but Emma gives such an astonishing performance, but I am still really happy she at least received a nomination. I even shed a tear during her song 'If Mountains Were Easy to Climb'. The set is very well designed, as is the lighting. The music is excellent and there are some really well-written and catchy songs. I thoroughly enjoyed this show and found the storyline really gripping. One thing about the show which I found a little odd was the choreography to 'Lord Chamberlin's Song'. I wasn't sure if it was meant to be comedic or something, but it seemed a little out of place. The most common criticism I read of the show is of the comedian Arthur, played by James Foreman. I don't think the comedian is very necessary, but I thought James did the best he could with the part.

The featured star of Mrs. Henderson Presents is, drum roll please… IAN BARTHOLOMEW!


I was completely wowed by Ian's performance and it is one I will not be forgetting for a while. As I said, he is perfectly cast and I am happy he received an Olivier nominations for his great performance.

Now for my final verdict on Mrs. Henderson Presents. I give Mrs. Henderson Presents…


This show hasn't got much longer in the West End, so don't miss your chance to see this unique show!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Funny Girl.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment