Wednesday 4 January 2017

Review: Lazarus (London)

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Lazarus.
I first saw this show in New York (some of you reading this may have even read that review) on December 27th 2015(where did the time go?), so with a London transfer I decided to go again as there was so much to take in the first time and I enjoyed it way more second time round. I had been listening to the cast album for just over two months prior to seeing the show in London, so I already felt like I knew the music off by heart. I wasn't sure in which order the songs came and I was always excited when I heard the first few beats, as I would then be able to tell which one it was. I absolutely adore the music and since going back to the show I have listened to the album 7 times! The music is extremely haunting, there's just something so special about it and I'm not sure what exactly. There was a lot to the show I feel I missed last time, but I now fully understand all of the story and all of the characters. I was even close to tears this time! Knowing that Bowie knew he was going to die when helping to create the show, adds a lot to certain story elements. The show is unbelievably creative and is actually the most creative show I have seen since Hamilton (keep in mind, not the best show since Hamilton, just the most creative). There is truly nothing like Lazarus and that is what makes it so special! The cast are phenomenal and what a treat to be able to see the majority of the leads once again. They each bring so much to the show. Michael C. Hall as Newton is incomparable. He stays on stage for almost all of an hour and 50 minutes (plus he is onstage for around 20 minutes at the beginning of the show) and  even when he doesn't speak or is just in the background, he is constantly 'acting'. Through physicality, facial features, it is a masterclass of a performance. His performance just blew me away. His vocals as well, everything about his portrayal of Newton is amazing. His rendition of the song 'Where Are We Now?' is astounding. Sophia Ann Caruso as "Girl" has a voice like no other. Her performance of 'Life On Mars?' gives a true WOW-factor. It is a highlight of the show. As I said in my review of the show in New York, she has a very bright future ahead of her. Michael Esper gives a truly terrifying performance as Valentine and conveys the character very well indeed. We aren't told of Valentine's past, but you can see it all in his eyes. Amy Lennox as Elly is a new addition to the cast, but you wouldn't be able to tell this as she fits in so perfectly. I understood the character of Elly a lot better this time and I genuinely felt a lot sympathy for the character. The stage projections are extraordinary and very impressive. Not many shows use stage projections such as these, but it works so well. The lighting design is also great. It was wonderful to see the orchestra live onstage, it added a lot to the effect of the music. This was also helped by a good sound design. I cannot say enough good things about this show. Wow. Endless Wows. I wasn't as keen on it when I went the first time in New York, but fully understanding it I realise now what genius art work this is. I really want to go back a third time!

The featured star of Lazarus is, drum roll please... MICHAEL C. HALL!


I don't think this show would be the same at all without him. He gives an inspired performance that is magical. Michael C. Hall is actual stage magic. There is no other way to describe him!

Now for my final verdict on Lazarus. I give Lazarus...


I give this rating because now that I understand the meaning and the purpose of the show, I have bumped it up from 4 to 5 stars. Given how I now know the clever purpose and meanings behind the show, it'd be criminal to give it anything below 5 stars!

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

4 comments:

  1. After seeing Lazarus three times in New York only made me want to see it a fourth. Everything you said in your review is right on.Haunting, magical. Made perfect of course by David Bowie's brilliance. Michael C Hall, Sophia Ann Caruso could not have been more perfectly cast and both are magnificent. Michael Esper has you spell bound. David Bowie is smiling for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have seen Lazarus 4 times; you're very lucky! I hope that one day this phenomenal show returns! :)

      Delete
  2. If you've worked out the meaning please feel free to share ... We've seen it 3 times with a 4th booked before it closes and we're still in blissful ignorance ...... but love it all the same :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't quite remember all of it, but at the time I remember thinking that there were quite a few different elements and meanings to it. It's the type of show that can be perceived in many different ways, and I don't think there's a wrong way to look at it. After I saw it, I came up with a theory that both Newton and the young girl were sick and between life and death. It's a very complex play; it would be a great one to study!

      Delete