Tuesday 24 January 2017

Review: Brexit the Musical

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Brexit the Musical.
A musical about Brexit, how could I refuse? I was a little surprised that a Brexit musical has  been made so quickly. As I've said before, I love both politics and drama, so combining the two thrills me! The show is currently playing at Waterloo East Theatre, which is an Off-West End venue. It's a nice small and cosy venue, which is needed for a show like this. The main thing I loved about this show is the actors' dedication and love of performing. It's the type of dedication and love of performing that is sometimes missed in certain West End shows. Off-West End shows may not have huge budgets, but what they lack in design, they certainly make up in dedication. The lyrics of the songs are really witty and clever, with highlights being 'When All About You There's Confusion', which perfectly displays Jeremy Corbyn's personality, and 'Boris/Putin Rap', which is an... interesting perception of a conversation between Boris Johnson and Vladimir Putin. Every single one of the songs was humorous and I would be interested to hear other music from the same composers. I hear that they had a show called 'Barack and the Beanstalk', which I imagine would've been interesting. All songs are excellently performed by a fantastic cast. The majority of impressions were done to perfection; there were times I was left wondering if that was the real Boris Johnson? ;) It seemed clear to me that the performers were having a great time onstage and that was so nice to see. The show perfectly sums up the mess of the referendum and this would be a good way to show foreigners, or indeed anyone who has no knowledge of Brexit. The show was the perfect way to spend my Sunday afternoon! Something that I wanted from the show was that I would've like for it to be more outrageous. A lot of it was quite polite, but I think it would've been a good idea to really go for it and make all of the politicians into laughing stocks (then again, the politicians don't need much help to that!). Two TV shows that Brexit the Musical could take note from are 'Newzoids' and 'Saturday Night Live', which have  hilarious political sketches. The musical features a cast of 6 actors, with all of them playing multiple roles. For the majority of the time, the role changes were noticeable, but there were instances where more could've been added so that there could be a clear difference between characters. The show is only 1 hour and there's so much of Brexit to cover that I think that perhaps an extra half an hour could be added to the show? I loved it so much and after the hour point I still wanted to see more of it!

The featured star of Brexit the Musical is, drum roll please... JAMES SANDERSON!


This was a  tough choice, as all cast members were so funny, but I have to give this to James as his Boris impression was extremely on-point and lifelike. He had everything: the accent, the mannerisms, the costume and even the look! He was the ultimate Boris!

Now for my final verdict on Brexit the Musical. I give Brexit the Musical...


I give this rating because, even though it was a tough choice between three and four stars, I had an absolute blast! It's a shame that the shows time at the Waterloo East Theatre is limited, but hopefully the show will be back soon!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Half a Sixpence.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment