Sunday 1 May 2016

Review: Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens.
It's a really funny story about how I ended up seeing this show. I had been invited to A Kingdom for a Stage on April 28th and Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens on April 29th, but couldn't make Saucy Jack's press night so couldn't see the show. I really wasn't feeling well on the night I was supposed to be going to A Kingdom for a Stage and somehow managed to get all my invites mixed up. Despite having an awful headache, I made my way to the theatre where I thought A Kingdom for a Stage was playing, only to find out I had gone to the wrong theatre (King's Head Theatre), where Saucy Jack was playing. Luckily, after the long travel, the producers still invited me into the show to review it. I am so glad all of this happened as this musical was absolutely stunning! The synopsis is: 'A seedy cabaret bar on the planet Frottage III — presided over by the alluring and charismatic Saucy Jack himself. All is not well — danger lurks in every corner as the cabaret acts are being picked off by a serial killer. As the show begins Vulva Savannah, promising entertainer and torch-song singer, has just become the latest victim of the Slingback Killer. The Space Vixens arrive to solve the mystery — interstellar, super-fashion crime fighters here to save the day by the Power of Disco! They hit the ground singing with the explosive house anthem Glitter Boots Saved My Life'. The songs are REALLY catchy and since coming home from the show I have been listening to the album non-stop. I had a look in the programme and it didn't list who wrote the music, but I would be curious to listen to more music by this  great writer. My personal favourite songs in the show are 'Saucy Jack's' and 'Let's Make Magic'. The show has a really strong cast, featuring Hugh Stubbins as Jack, Jamie Birkett as Jubilee Climax, Zoe Nicholls as Bunny Lingus, Lorna Hall as Anna Labia, Caspar Cordwell James as Booby Chevalle, Sophie Cordwell James as Chesty Prospects, Ashton Charge as Sammy Sax, Tom Whalley as Dr. Wily von Whackoff and Kristopher Bosch as Mitch Maypole. The costumes and lighting are great. This show is just so much fun! It would be impossible not to laugh. The show reminded me of The Rocky Horror Show, but it is much better and funnier. The theatre had such a great atmosphere, it really felt as if you were at Saucy Jack's bar. This show is perfect for the King's Head Theatre. I don't actually think I can fault this show, it was absolutely phenomenal! It's the most fun I've had at a show in a long time.

The featured star of Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens is, drum roll please… TOM WHALLEY!


Tom is the perfect combination of Tony Award winner Jefferson Mays and Emmy Award Winner Neil Patrick Harris! He gives such a fantastic performance and completely stole the show. Any line he said, I was laughing my socks off!

Now for my final verdict of Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens. I give Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens…


This show is certainly worth the journey to Islington, I can't recommend it enough! 

Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Mrs. Henderson Presents.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment