Sunday 8 May 2016

Review: Funny Girl

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Funny Girl.
For ages, I have been hearing people rave about "Sheridan Smith's stunning performance in Funny Girl', so the other day I decided to see if Sheridan's performance lived up to the hype. The answer… her performance was even better than expected! Sheridan Smith, as Fanny Brice, gives an absolutely stunning and faultless performance. She's a stunning actress, she's a stunning singer, she's a stunning dancer and is also very versatile. This really is the perfect role for her, as it shows of her wide range of talents. She is an absolute delight to watch! The show is very entertaining and was so funny in certain parts. For those who would like to know, the synopsis is: 'Charts the rise of Fanny Brice’s career as one of Broadway’s biggest stars by way of the Ziegfeld Follies, as well as her doomed romance with Nicky Arnstein.' The show is fantastically choreographed by Lynne Page, and the set and lighting are very well designed by Matthew Wright and Mark Henderson. I love all the music especially 'Don't Rain on My Parade' and 'Who Taught Her Everything She Know?'. I really loved the overture and it was so nice to include it in to showcase the orchestra's exceptional talent. Cast members who stood out for me were Sheridan Smith as Fanny Brice, Darius Campbell as Nick Arnstein, Joel Montague as Eddie Ryan, Marilyn Cutts as Mrs. Brice, Valda Aviks as Mrs. Meeker and Gay Soper as Mrs. Strakosh. I think this is a show for any age and I'm sure all the family would enjoy this show. I really was mesmerised by the finale of act one, 'Don't Rain on My Parade' and it was definitely the highlight of the whole show. I thought Darius Campbell was very well cast, he was a great actor, he was a great singer and he had charisma, he ticked all the right boxes to play this part! The show features a very strong cast who all work brilliantly together. The only thing to fault this show is the storyline, which is a little basic, however the show makes up for it in all other aspects.

The featured star of Funny Girl is, drum roll please… SHERIDAN SMITH!


As I said, Sheridan is stunning in this role. She is worth the ticket price alone! It would be impossible for anyone to fault her performance.

Now for my final verdict on Funny Girl. I give Funny Girl…


The show is already near sold-out until June, so if this show sounds like your kind of thing then make sure to buy tickets before it closes on the 8th of October!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment