Saturday 27 October 2018

Review: Precious Little Talent

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Precious Little Talent.
I was absolutely delighted to have been invited to the revival of Ella Hickson's 'Precious Little Talent' at the Courtyard Theatre. I knew very little about the play prior to viewing it, and therefore I did not truly know what to expect, but I am thrilled to report that I left the theatre pleasantly surprised.

Precious Little Talent takes place on Christmas Eve in the winter of 2008. The USA is buzzing with the election of a new President. Joey, a disillusioned English graduate, arrives in New York to visit her estranged father. But after a whirlwind midnight run through the city, she finds herself falling for an idealistic young American. As she fights to be remembered by her father’s failing mind, Joey must decide if she can let go of her fears and believe again in the American Dream. I found the storyline of Precious Little Talent to be really interesting, particularly in the way in which it explored themes of dementia. Having had several family members who have suffered from dementia, I truly did appreciate the accurate and appropriate portrayal of dementia. It is especially striking how Hickson subtly gives multiple hints throughout the first act that the character of George is suffering from Early-onset Alzheimer's disease. Similar to real life, it may not be exceedingly apparent at first, but multiple indications are shown throughout all of George's early scenes. In addition to dementia, Precious Little Talent also explores the interesting contrast of personalities between those from the United Kingdom and those from the United States of America. Having been to America on multiple occasions, it has been clear to me throughout the years that there is a significant difference between the optimism shown by Americans and the cynicism shown by British people. Hickson explores these differences at great length and all of them feel quite true to life.


Henry George Lewis gives a tremendously convincing performance in the role of Sam. The character of Sam is American, and Lewis's accent was impeccable. Throughout the entirety of the play, there was not even a hint of an English accent in his portrayal; I was left seriously impressed. In his performance, Lewis remained lively and full of energy throughout the show. If all of this was not enough, he was also extremely charismatic. Playing opposite him in the role of Joey was Marta Kane, who gives a performance full of passion; it was immensely powerful. The different dynamics that she created with the characters of Sam and George made for fascinating viewing. Finally, last but by no means least, in the role of George, a victim of dementia, is Mark Keegan giving a compelling performance. Keegan portrays dementia in a nuanced fashion throughout the play, meaning that once the dementia takes full control over the character it is beyond heartbreaking. There are two different sides to the character of George, and Keegan displays this well.

Brock Elwick has masterfully directed this production and that is apparent throughout. It is clearly very well-staged, and I particularly liked the idea to have the actors enter into the audience and speak directly to us. I found that this really helped me, as an audience member, to be able to further connect with these characters. The lighting design, by Francesca Jones, is also yet another highlight of this production. The lighting is highly effective and helped to enhance the atmosphere.

The featured star of Precious Little Talent is, drum roll please... HENRY GEORGE LEWIS!


Henry George Lewis's performance was an utter joy to watch. Until I learnt otherwise, I had genuinely believed that Lewis was American; his American accent was flawless. His mannerisms and characterisation were perfection, giving an overall mesmerising performance.

Now for my final verdict on Precious Little Talent. I give Precious Little Talent...


Precious Little Talent surpassed all of my expectations. It is undoubtedly worthy of a four star rating. 

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

2 comments:

  1. Hello! How can I invite you to a show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      You can either contact me on my Twitter (@TheReviewer23) or email me (TheatreReviews23@Gmail.com). :)

      Delete