Monday 5 June 2017

Review: Don Juan in Soho

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Don Juan in Soho.
We had originally booked to see this back in Easter, but had to exchange tickets due to my America trip during that week, so I ended up seeing it last weekend. I had heard very mixed opinions about it and from what I had heard it seemed like it was a 'love it or hate it' type show. Fortunately, I was one of those that loved it and the show really appealed to my sense of humour. The aspect of the show that makes it really special is David Tennant's performance of Don Juan. To say he is amazing would be an understatement; this is the role he was born to play. As much as I love him onscreen, I actually thought it was better to see him live. He absolutely nailed everything about the part. He was great at the comedic parts, he was great at the more serious parts and adding to that, he had hilarious facial expressions. David Tennant's performance is worth the ticket price alone! I don't think I would have enjoyed the show as much, if it didn't have him in. At David's side was Adrian Scarborough as Stan, Don Juan's trusted servant. Adrian also gave a remarkable performance and holds his own alongside David Tennant. He had very good comic timing and was perfectly cast. The remainder of the cast cannot be faulted either. The writing is extremely clever and witty; I was laughing throughout! I had seen another play which had been written by Patrick Marber called Three Days in the Country, and as good as that was, I really think the writer is truly in his element here. All the production aspects cannot be faulted, with the lighting, costume, set and sound design all being excellent. To my surprise, Don Juan in Soho features several modern dance numbers, which added to the craziness of the show and fitted in nicely. It's a really well made production and has been carefully thought out. Now for my criticisms (luckily, there's only a few). A lot of crazy and exciting things happened in act one, but act two felt a little flat. I was really excited in the intermission as to what would happen next, but act two just appeared as being non-eventful and rushed. The ending happened extremely quickly. I think it would have been a good idea to stretch out the ending a little more. My only other critique is that, during the play the character of Stan speaks to the audience and I wasn't sure that this was carried out too well. It was a nice idea, but if I had been directing it, I would have organised for the light to purely be on Stan during his asides. That's a nitpick though, and doesn't really affect the show as a whole.

The featured star of Don Juan in Soho is, drum roll please... DAVID TENANT!


I don't see how there could be any way to fault this performance. David Tenant's portrayal of Don Juan is perfect in every way! I would love to see David Tennant onstage again, as he is pure magic when seen live.

Now for my final verdict on Don Juan in Soho. I give Don Juan in Soho...


Don Juan in Soho is only playing for another 5 days, but luckily there are tickets that are still available, so if you think this would be your kind of show, don't delay in getting tickets! 

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment