Monday 18 July 2016

Review: Guys and Dolls (July 2016)

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Guys and Dolls...
Playing in the West End since December last year, 7 months later Guys and Dolls has recruited Rebel Wilson to join their cast, in what is some very inspired casting. This was actually my third time seeing the show. The first time I went was on New Years Eve, last December and I went because I was really eager to see this classic, having studied it at school earlier in the year. The first time I saw the show I thought it was good, I enjoyed it, but due to it still being in previews there were several things that could've been improved. I then went back several months later in March due to Richard Kind joining the cast and I LOVED it. Samantha Spiro joined Richard Kind as Miss. Adelaide and they were both amazing. I decided to go back one more time, during my theatre marathon, to see Rebel Wilson and it was, by far, the best the show has ever been. The show is completely different and there are several changes to the script to appeal to the younger audience that are going to see Rebel Wilson. The show has had a big shake up and as much as I loved the show last time, I think it was great to modernise it! Cast members who stood out were Simon Lipkin as Nathan Detroit, Rebel Wilson as Miss. Adelaide, Jonathan Stewart who was understudying as Sky Masterson, Siubhan Harrison as Sarah Brown, Gavin Spokes as Nicely-Nicley Johnson and Jason Pennycooke as Benny Southstreet. Simon Lipkin is a new addition to the cast and he is my new favourite Nathan! The past two Nathan's in the production, David Haig and Richard Kind (Nigel Lindsay also did a limited run, but I didn't see him), have both been actors who have been older and played more of "Good old, reliable Nathan, but Simon gives a completely new and fresh portrayal. His Nathan is as unreliable as England's weather! I had read thoughts similar to this on a theatre forum I go on and and wasn't sure I'd like that sort of portrayal, but it was just so clever. It's so great to see an actor put a different spin on a role. I really liked seeing Jonathan Stewart as Sky, having seen him in Shrek over 5 times! I always love seeing an understudy perform because I always know they will put 110% into their performance. Jonathan seemed so natural in the role, he is just as good as Oliver Tompsett, who plays Sky full-time. Now onto Rebel... Rebel's take on Miss. Adelaide was one of the most funniest performances I have ever seen. I really loved Samantha Spiro in the role, but I feel that Rebel has the edge as my favourite Adelaide. She was hilarious from start to finish and just had such a clever take on the role. She changed the role so much and definitely for the better. I laughed my socks off! Rebel was perfect casting, great coming timing, brilliant singer,  and fantastic actress. Siubhan was great as always, she never fails to deliver a good performance! The choreography, costume, lighting and orchestra were all really good too, as they have been all three times and it was good to see them all once again. I believe it is one of the best shows in the West End at the moment, it would be impossible not to  have fun at this show!

The featured star of Guys and Dolls is, drum roll please... REBEL WILSON!


When I first heard Rebel was going to be in Guys and Dolls, I was sort of surprised as it was not someone I would've expected to see in the role. The casting directors made such a clever choice casting Rebel, she is such a joy to watch and I really hope she is enjoying playing the role. I have my fingers crossed that she will do more theatre soon!

Now for my final verdict on Guys and Dolls. I give Guys and Dolls...


Sadly it was announced earlier this week by reporter Baz Bamigboye that the show would be closing early which I find to be a real shame. A show like this deserves to run longer! I advise all Rebel Wilson fans to rush to see the show before she departs on the 21st August.


Agree with my rating? Think it should've got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment