Sunday 20 January 2019

Review: I'm Not Running

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of I'm Not Running.
Pauline Gibson is a junior doctor, who becomes the face of a campaign to save her local hospital. She’s thrust from angel of the NHS, to becoming an independent MP. In the Houses of Parliament, she crosses paths with her university boyfriend, Jack Gould, a stalwart Labour loyalist, climbing the ranks of the party.As media and public pressure mounts on Pauline to run for leadership of the Labour party, she faces an agonising decision. David Hare’s brand new play, set in the modern day, portrays personal choices and their public consequences, through a twenty year intimate friendship.

I personally found the storyline of I'm Not Running, as well as the ideas explored, to be rather interesting. The concept of these two characters having known each other in their youth and then having their paths cross once again through their involvement in politics was compelling. The story of I'm Not Running is most interesting during its moments of politics. The political scenes which take place are truly fascinating, and in particular the penultimate scene was riveting. This scene explores the true motives of the Labour Party, as well as the fact that the Labour Party have never elected a female to the leadership. I was, however, left desiring for even more politics. Whilst politics does play a large role in the play, a lot of it instead focuses on the background of the leading character, Pauline Gibson. I would personally liked to have seen more of a focus placed on Gibson's independent bid to become a Member of Parliament, which could have been interesting to explore. Additionally, I was a little surprised that despite the fact that the play is set in the modern day, there are little-to-no references made regarding modern-day affairs. For example, neither Jeremy Corbyn nor Brexit are mentioned in I'm Not Running, making it hard to believe that it is set in the present day. Despite having said all of this, I still thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority of I'm Not Running, but I do feel that the play would be slightly more compelling if it were to place more of a focus on the political side of things.


Sian Brooke, in the leading role of nurse-turned-politician Pauline Gibson, gives an excellent performance. Brooke is a natural on-stage and was a delight to watch. Alex Hassell, in the role of Jack Gould, is equally outstanding and makes for a worthy opponent to Brooke's Gibson. Hassell is highly convincing in his portrayal of this pragmatic politician, and it made for a good contrast with the more idealistic Pauline. Additionally, Hassell was particularly good at demonstrating the change that the character goes through from his younger and care-free years, to when he grows older and becomes a level-headed politician. Joshua McGuire, as Sandy Mynott, also gives a stand-out performance. McGuire is clearly a very talented actor and provides much needed comic relief to the play.

Now for my final verdict on I'm Not Running. I give I'm Not Running...


I'm Not Running has received a mixed response, however I personally quite enjoyed it. Whilst the play is not without its flaws, there is undoubtedly a lot of potential here and some of the ideas explored are very interesting. Therefore, I have decided to award I'm Not Running with three stars.

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment