Thursday 9 August 2018

Review: SpongeBob SquarePants

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of SpongeBob SquarePants.
As those who follow my Twitter feed will know, I'm currently on vacation and arrived in New York on the 3rd of August with the intention to see as many Broadway shows as possible. I had heard a lot of buzz surrounding SpongeBob SquarePants, but I was not sure as to whether it would be my cup of tea due to the fact that it may have been geared towards younger audience members. Despite feeling that way, I took the decision to listen to a portion of songs from the cast album. After thoroughly enjoying the music, I decided to give SpongeBob Squarepants a go!

In my eyes, the score of SpongeBob SquarePants is the shows strongest aspect. It has been composed by over 20 different artists and as a result it features a wide variety of different songs, the vast majority of which are exceptional. There are a dozen really memorable tunes within the score, many of which I can vividly remember a week after watching the show. My personal favourites would be 'Bikini Bottom Day' (composed by Jonathan Coulton), 'When the Going Gets Tough' (composed by T.I.), 'Just a Simple Sponge' (composed by Panic! at the Disco), Hero Is My Middle Name (composed by Cindy Lauper), 'I'm Not a Loser' (composed by They Might Be Giants) and 'Best Day Ever' (composed by Andy Paley and Tom Kenny). I implore everyone reading this review to have a listen to the Original Cast Recording, as it is definitely worth taking a look at.


Making his Broadway debut, Ethan Slater in the titular role of SpongeBob SquarePants is a triple threat. Slater has a very strong singing voice, he is an excellent gymnast and through phenomenal acting abilities he brings the 2D character into life flawlessly. I cannot speak highly enough of Slater's performance; he is remarkable! Gavin Lee, in the role of Squidward Q. Tentacles, is simply phenomenal. In the showstopper 'I'm Not a Loser', Lee proves himself to be an amazing tap dancer by pulling off an extraordinary tap routine with an extra pair of legs attached to his costume whilst continually making it looks effortless. Additionally, he also has a marvellous singing voice. Portraying Texas squirrel Sandy Cheeks is Christina Sajous, who only recently joined this production. Sajous excels in the role of Sandy and is a joy to watch throughout the show. Similar to Slater, she too is a triple threat. In the role of SpongeBob's best friend Patrick Star is Danny Skinner, who appears to be very well suited to the character. I particularly liked his duet with Ethan Slater entitled '(I Guess I) Miss You'. Finally, last but certainly not least, I feel that Wesley Taylor is more than deserving of a special mention for his terrific portrayal of 'Sheldon Plankton'. In his performance, Taylor makes the small organism of Plankton into a larger than life character. His rapping and dancing abilities are utterly outstanding.

The set design, which has been created by David Zinn, recently won a Tony Award and from the moment that you step inside the theatre it is clear as to why it received this accolade. It is exceedingly striking and unlike anything that I had ever seen before. As soon you take your seat in the theatre and you are surrounded by the set, a bright and lively atmosphere is immediately created by all the array of bright colours covering the theatre. The costume designs were also created by Zinn, and yet again those are also remarkable. Using outfits that some may wear in everyday life, such as jackets, boxing gloves & coats, Zinn has excelled in helping to bring these sea creatures to life. The lighting design is also rather impressive and helps to add to the show's atmosphere.

Whilst I still hold the belief that SpongeBob SquarePants is geared towards a younger audience (hence why I may not enjoy it as much as other shows), I still really enjoyed myself and would recommend it to all families.

The featured star of SpongeBob SquarePants is, drum roll please... ETHAN SLATER!


I thoroughly enjoyed all of the performances in SpongeBob SquarePants, but my choice of featured star has to go to Ethan Slater. Slater's performance has everything needed for the leading actor of a musical. A talented actor, singer, dancer and gymnast full of charisma; it hopefully won't be too long before Slater returns to Broadway. 

Now for my final verdict on SpongeBob SquarePants. I give SpongeBob SquarePants...


Despite feeling that this is definitely geared towards a much younger audience, this is still a delightful show with an excellent score, a phenomenal cast and some rather remarkable designs!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment