Monday 28 May 2018

Review: Quiz

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Quiz.
In recent months, James Graham has become one of my favourite playwrights. Having seen Graham's other hit plays, 'This House', 'Labour of Love' and 'Ink', I was very eager to see his brand new West End play, entitled 'Quiz'. As a celebration of my Birthday weekend, I finally had the opportunity to see it.

Set in April 2003, Army Major Charles Ingram, his wife and a 'coughing accomplice' are convicted for cheating on the hit TV show 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?'. The evidence against them is damning. All of Britain is gripped by the sheer audacity of the plot to snatch the £1,000,000 jackpot. But was Charles Ingram really guilty? That is for the audience to decide. I knew nothing of this real-life scandal prior to entering the theatre, so it was fascinating to learn about it. It may have seemed like a petty crime to some, but the effect it had on the nation is truly shocking. It is an extremely interesting case, and it is easy to understand as to why Graham felt the desire to write about the matter. In a trial such as this one, there are strong arguments to be made for both the defence and the prosecution. Throughout the play you are endlessly second guessing as to what the verdict should be, and it is still unlikely that your mind will have been made up by the end of the play. Not only does Quiz tell of a riveting story, but it also features a wide array of themes, such as democracy, a free press, class divides and the idea that we are all being watched by an audience. There is a lot of hidden symbolism within Quiz; it would be a fascinating text to analyse.


Quiz uses audience interaction like nothing I had ever seen before. Audience members are taken up onto the stage to compete in different game shows (I myself competed in a game of 'The Price Is Right' onstage against two fellow audience members), a pub quiz takes place in which the audience can form teams and work together in order to win the prize of a 'Quiz' poster signed by the whole cast, and last but not least, all audience members are given finger buzzers in which they are able to vote in matters concerning the play. Throughout the show, it felt as if, we, the audience, were being treated as fellow cast members. Throughout all my years of theatregoing, I had never experienced any type of audience interaction such as this; it made for a really engrossing experience.

The set design, crafted by Robert Jones, did an excellent job of capturing the essence of the original quiz show sets, helping to emphasise the reality of the play. I particularly liked the use of the neon cube, as well as the revolving stage. The lighting design, created by Tim Lutkin, was phenomenal and among the best I have ever seen in a play. The lighting design seemed to play a large part in creating an intense atmosphere. The use of video screens placed throughout the theatre, which were designed by Tim Reid, were rather unique and made for a nice addition to the production. Finally, I was also quite impressed with the sound design, which had been done by Ben and Max Ringham. It is rare that I notice the effectiveness of sound design, but this was clearly an exception.

The featured star of Quiz is, drum roll please... KEIR CHARLES!


This was an exceedingly easy decision to make; Keir Charles undoubtedly stole the show with the multiple roles which he performed. The range of abilities and skills that Charles demonstrates on stage is astonishing. Having seen Keir Charles multi-role in A Christmas Carol in January 2016, I continue to be amazed by his ability to portray such a wide range of characters efficiently. 

Now for my final verdict on Quiz. I give Quiz...


My decision for Quiz was between a three star rating and a four star rating, however I eventually chose four stars as I feel this productions should definitely be commended for its originality and creativity!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment