Sunday 9 April 2017

Review: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
I first saw Sweeney Todd back in April 2015 at the London Coliseum, where it became one of my favourite musicals of all time (it's in the top 5). Since seeing it two years ago, I've always wanted to see it again live to get a deeper understanding of the show and to catch any parts that I may have missed. I was thrilled to be able to get that opportunity on my trip to New York! I had tried to see this production whilst it was in London, but it was sold out. I was finally able to see this production! It was really interesting to see a different version of the show. Sweeney Todd can be staged in many, many different ways. The intimacy of the the Harrington's Pie Shop set is extremely unique and works brilliantly, especially during the more dramatic moments of the show (and there's tons of those!). There is something really special about this production and I urge all Sweeney Todd fans to do their best to get a ticket for this stunning production. The cast are phenomenal and each bring a lot to the show. Despite there only being 8 cast members, they create an incredible atmosphere. Jeremy Secomb, who played Sweeney Todd, was by far the best Sweeney I have seen. I have seen two other Sweeney's (Bryn Terfel at the London Coliseum and Johnny Depp in the film), but neither of them are near Jeremy's level of talent. He was absolutely terrifying, especially during his great interaction with the audience. He also has a very good voice. Siobhan McCarthy, who played Mrs. Lovett, was hilarious and absolutely nailed the comedic parts of the show. Matt Doyle and Alex Finke, as Anthony and Johanna, made a perfect pair and harmonised well together. Also, they had fantastic British accents, with me not realising they were American until I met them at stage door. Duncan Smith is brilliant as Judge Turpin. He had a strong voice and played the role extremely creepily, just how it should be! Joseph Taylor plays the role of Tobias young and innocent, which I believe is the best way to portray Tobias. It really added a lot to the character. Beadle Bamford usually isn't  that significant, but Brad Oscar had done wonders in the role. He really makes something out of the character. Last but not least, Betsy Morgan, who portrays Beggar Woman and Pirelli, has an outstanding voice! Assisting the cast is the orchestra of 3, who are sublime. It's amazing that they are able to create a whole orchestra out of just 3 people! The recreation of Harrington's Pie Shop is superb, it's like stepping back in time. The lighting design is hidden behind vents, which also adds to this stunning production. It really is wonderful to see such creative thinking. This goes without saying, but I adored the music (who doesn't?). I saw this the same day I saw Sunday in the Park with George: double Sondheim! My one critique for the show (and this is a nitpick), but the female Pirelli had a long pony tail which I feel should have been hidden with the hat she was wearing. But as I said, this is a nitpick!

The featured star of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is, drum roll please... JEREMY SECOMB!


As previously mentioned, Jeremy is a stunner. This is a really strong cast, and yet when choosing featured star I knew it would be him, so that certainly says a lot about his performance. He does everything right to be the perfect Sweeney Todd. This is a performance that cannot be faulted in the slightest.

Now for my final verdict on Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I give Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street...


I decided to give this rating because I was seriously impressed with how creative it was. Sweeney is one of my favourite musicals of all time, and to see it again was absolutely wonderful! That's my third 5 star in a row, I'm on a roll!

Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment