Sunday 16 April 2017

Review: Oslo

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Oslo.
I had tried to see Oslo during my last trip to New York back in August 2016, but it was sold out and I couldn't get any tickets. I was absolutely delighted when I read the news that Oslo would be transferring to Broadway, so I'd be able to get the chance to finally see it. I find the play utterly fascinating, due to the historic teachings that the show brings. The show follows the peace agreements between Israel and Palestine. Orchestrating the peace agreements were a husband and wife team of politicians from Norway. It's quite amazing that at the end of the day, all it took to begin the peace agreements were a determined husband and wife from Norway. It really does show that you can do anything that you put your mind to! The play keeps the audience on the  edge of their seats throughout, it was able to keep my attention for the vast majority of the show (which is extremely hard to do, considering it was three hours). Funnily enough, it actually seemed shorter than other shows which are only 2 and a half hours *cough* Present Laughter *cough*. The play is structured very well, in a way that keeps the tension throughout. The show is performed by a top notch cast with no weak links whatsoever. I cannot fault any of the cast, each and every single one of them are so talented. I can't even pick any standouts, because they all did such an excellent job! I was very impressed with both the lighting and sound design, they were excellent. The show uses video projections, which is extremely well done. One of my critiques for the show is that I felt the stage was way too big for the show, especially as the set is very small. Perhaps if they had made a bigger set it would have suited it better, but it didn't feel right to have Oslo on such a big stage. This is nothing major and does not spoil the show itself. My other critique for the show is that I feel it could be cut down possibly by 20 minutes. When telling people about the show, they've loved the sound of it, up until the point where I mention it's three hours. Even though the time goes by pretty quickly, I still think the show would benefit from this time cut.

The featured star of Oslo is, drum roll please... JEFFERSON MAYS!


This is a cast full of wonderful actors, so I could have chosen anyone for this. However, having to choose, I'd go with Jefferson. I saw him in April 2015 in A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder and thought he was brilliant. To see him onstage again was great, he is a wonderful performer! After seeing this, I have truly been shown he is extremely versatile.

Now for my final verdict on Oslo. I give Oslo...


This rating was quite an easy decision to make; it's brilliant and deserved 4 stars with no doubt. It's a fascinating storyline with a wonderful cast; what more could be wanted from a play? It's not quite a 5 star, but I still loved it.

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below. 

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! We saw Oslo Off Broadway and thought it was a terrific show. We also took issue with the length of the show. In fact, we just wrote a review about another Off Broadway play we saw, Vanity Fair, that we like very, very much but gave it a lower star rating because it was too long. See our review at StageWrite.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very happy that Oslo won the Tony Award for Best Play!

      Delete