Tuesday 11 April 2017

Review: Amélie

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Amélie.
Amélie was originally on my "back-up shows" list, however in the end I had more time than I thought I would so I was able to see it. The main reason behind me wanting to see the show was to see  Phillipa Soo. I thought she was stunning in Hamilton and was curious to see how her newest project was going. This is going to be a tough review to write, because I have very mixed feelings. I enjoyed it, but there are a lot of things that are wrong with this show. If I'm honest, I found the show to be really weird. The show had everything, from a talking goldfish on a scooter, to one of the characters dying from being jumped on by a fat man, to Elton John jumping out of the television, to a singing and dancing gnome. I don't think there's anything quite like it. I just found it all to be so strange. Apart from the one song of 'Times Are Hard for Dreamers', I wasn't a big fan of the music. The music seemed somewhat lifeless and there were no catchy songs (apart from that one) that stayed in my head. It seemed the show was lacking heart, which I personally felt left it to be quite average. There's nothing about this show that makes it special, nor does it stand out from other shows. Luckily, that's all I have to say about the bad points of the show, time for positives! Phillipa Soo is phenomenal, just as I had expected. She is a stunning actress and a stunning singer. Phillipa Soo is the sole reason my attention was kept throughout. She is the absolute one thing that makes the show enjoyable. She is a treat to watch! I thought the set design was lovely and was really nice to look at. Even despite the shows flaws, I did still enjoy it and I (somewhat) related with Amélie, because the character was homeschooled and I have been homeschooled for various parts of my life. Is this a must-see show? No. Would I recommend it to those who are curious to see Phillipa Soo's new work? Absolutely!

The featured star of Amélie is, drum roll please... PHILLIPA SOO!


What really makes Phillipa Soo's performance a success is the fact she's not in the greatest musical, however she's doing her very best to make it great and it really shows. Whether you liked the show, or you disliked the show, it seems that everyone agrees that Phillipa Soo is amazing!

Now for my final verdict on Amélie. I give Amélie...


I give this rating because, it is a show with quite a few flaws, but it has many good qualities which is what makes it a three star.

This it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment