Monday 13 February 2017

Review: Nice Fish

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Nice Fish.
As some of you may have read in my review of Half a Sixpence, my American friend @BroadwayBobNYC came to visit and he is a huge Mark Rylance fan so he did not want to miss this. Sadly though, I didn't feel this show 'worked'. I felt that there wasn't enough of a storyline for an hour and a half play, so it left me wanting a lot more. Don't get me wrong, there were some good bits in the show, but I felt bored in quite a few places throughout the show. It didn't seem like I could get my teeth into the storyline. This may be enjoyed by some, but Nice Fish failed to interest me. The show features elements of philosophy, but sadly there weren't  any parts that really gave me a lot to think about, nor did I think there was a meaningful message that I took away. The show originated in America, where I hear it did well and I can see why; the show is set in Minnesota and makes many references to the state. The show came across as being very American, and that's why I'm not sure it is suited for the London stage. Sure, there are some American themed shows which I think will work well here (Hamilton), but there are some which I think are better suited to a certain audience with a different sense of humour. I have no doubt this play will be liked by many, it just wasn't my type of show. I did think the acting was excellent. The show featured Mark Rylance as Ron, Jim Lichtscheidl as Erik, Raye Birk as Wayne, Kayli Carter as Flo and Bob Davis as The DNR Man. They are all perfect for their roles and give superb performances. The lighting design was amazing. The show uses blackouts to differentiate between scenes and this is extremely effective. The blackouts would only be a few seconds, and yet the actors will have changed places and the set will have moved in perfect timing. It was incredible! I loved the use of puppetry, especially when they used it before the show. Finally, I also really liked the final scene and the way it was carried out. It was tough to write this review, but as I say, it may not have been a bad play, it just wasn't to my liking.

The featured star of Nice Fish is, drum roll please... MARK RYLANCE!


Mark Rylance is so perfect for this role. His character lacks intelligence and he portrays this extremely well. His comic timing is always on-point. I've heard so much about his stage appearances, so it's great to finally witness one.

Now for my final verdict on Nice Fish. I give Nice Fish...


I give this rating because even though it wasn't my cup of tea, I thought the acting, lighting design and puppetry were great!

Think it should have got a higher rating? Agree with my rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing The Mousetrap.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment