Sunday 5 June 2016

Review: Paramour

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Paramour.
With not many shows playing on Monday, I decided to give Paramour a go, despite hearing a mixed response. I was pleasantly surprised, as I throughly enjoyed this show! This show is Cirque Du Soleil's first outing to the 'Great White Way', combining the circus with a Broadway musical. Does it work? Definitely! The combination is utterly genius and done extremely well. The synopsis for the show is: 'Set in the glamorous world of Golden Age Hollywood, this musical spins the tale of a beautiful young poet forced to choose between love and art. Featuring a cast that blends circus arts and musical theatre, Paramour will transport you to a world of sublime beauty and emotion as it walks the exhilarating tightrope of the heart. ' The storyline worked well,  Cast members who stood out were Ruby Lewis as Indigo James, Ryan Vona as Joey Green and the Atherton Twins. Ruby Lewis was the highlight of the show for me, amazing actress, amazing singer and an amazing dancer, I don't know what else you could want from a leading lady! In a show like this, it is very easy to be overshadowed by the acrobatics, but I thought Ruby was definitely one of the best parts of the show. The book was well written, it wasn't the most complicated plot, but it worked well for this show. The Atherton Twins were utterly spectacular I really wish they had been featured in the show more, as the rest of the audience seemed to think they were amazing too. Their act during 'Help a Girl Choose' is completely jaw-dropping. The costumes, sets and choreography are all really good, the show is amazing visually. The set changes are unbelievable and I'd love it if other shows followed Paramour's lead with their set changes. The music was a nice surprise, as watching the trailer I really didn't expect the music to be as good as it was. If I were directing the show, I would've perhaps changed the opening number 'The Hollywood Wiz'. There were just too many things going on at once during this song and I didn't know where to look. I also feel the ending could've used a little work as I didn't quite get what happened. My only guess was that it was metaphorical. A friend of mine, who also went to see the show, asked me the same question so it would be really good if the show had edited the ending a little.

The featured star of Paramour is, drum roll please... RUBY LEWIS!


I would love to see Ruby in another show, because she really gave a great performance here. Nowadays, it's quite rare to find a triple-threat (great acting, great singing and great dancing), so if you go to Paramour make sure to look out for this performance!

Now for my final verdict on Paramour...


When going to Paramour, the thing to keep in mind is that it's not your usual Broadway musical, however it is still a really fun night out at the theatre and perfect for the whole family!
Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Eclipsed.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

2 comments:

  1. We saw it last night and also weren't sure how it ended. Found your post trying to find the answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been over a year since I saw Paramour and I still don't understand how it ended!

      Delete