Saturday 4 June 2016

Review: Fiddler on the Roof

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Fiddler on the Roof.
I had wanted to see this last time I was in New York, but never found the time in the end. I really wanted to see the show this time around, but was concerned that once again I would run out time to see it. Luckily, I found out that my flight arrived around midday and Fiddler was doing a performance in the evening (unlike most shows on a Sunday), so after waiting all that time I finally got to see it! The wait really paid off, it was absolutely mesmerising! What I loved about this show so much, is that most revivals I see are often quite dated, where as this just seemed so fresh and new. The show is still relevant to this very day! The synopsis is: 'Based on the stories of Sholom Aleichem, Fiddler on the Roof takes place in Anatevka, a village in Tsarist Russia during the eve of the revolution. Tevye is a poor milkman who cares for his wife and five daughters. While he and the rest of the elders in the village are deeply routed in tradition, his daughters’ forward thinking clashes with Tevye’s principles and causes a rift in the family. ' Words cannot begin to describe the choreography by Hofesh Shechter, I was completely blown away by it! Cast members who stood out for me were Adam Grupper who was understudying as Tevye, Alexandra Silber as Tzeitel, Julie Benko who was understudying as Hodel, Melanie Moore as Chava, Adam Kantor as Motel, Ben Rappaport as Perchick, Alix Korey as Yente. Adam Grupper gave a really moving and heartfelt performance, with the highlight of his performance being his rendition of 'Chavaleh'. I was completely wowed by this performance and it is really hard to believe that Adam doesn't play the role full time. I feel understudies are so under appreciated and performances like this really show the power of what an understudy can do. The show features a tremendous cast who bring a great energy to the stage. The music is astounding and I have been listening to the cast album non-stop. My personal favourite songs are 'Tradition' and 'To Life'. I was so thrilled to be able to see the show, I enjoyed every minute of it! I could not find one thing to fault this brilliant show!

The featured star of Fiddler on the Roof is, drum roll please... ADAM GRUPPER!


If you are fortunate enough to catch Adam's performance, you're in for a real treat! Hopefully when Danny Burstien departs the show, Adam will be given the role full-time, as it would be great if more people could see his stunning portrayal.

Now for my final verdict on Fiddler on the Roof. I give Fiddler on the Roof...


Fiddler is an open-run, currently booking until December this year and this is definitely something I would recommend for the whole family. Keeping my fingers crossed for a London transfer, revivals don't usually transfer, but still keeping my fingers crossed!

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Paramour.

Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment