Friday 22 April 2016

Review: Your Ever Loving

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of Your Ever Loving.
When I was invited to this play and given info on it's storyline I wasn't really sure what to expect. I am so happy I was invited, as this was a stunning piece of theatre. It is a fantastic play and is extremely well written. The storyline is: 'After the Guildford and Woolwich bombings, Paul Hill and the Guildford Four were arrested and jailed for 15 years for crimes they did not commit, their convictions based solely on confessions extracted during brutal interrogation. Forensic evidence and witnesses that pointed to their innocence were never disclosed at the original trial. Detectives used violence, intimidation and threats to extract the confessions. It would take 15 long years of campaigning before the Four were exonerated and their convictions quashed.' It was such a gripping storyline and I was so engrossed in Paul Hill's life from start to finish. I found the story so inspirational and it is truly incredible how courageous Paul Hill was. The show only starred two actors: Stefan McCusker as Paul Hill and James Elmes as The Rest of The World. Stefan and James are both tremendous actors. The emotion shown by Stefan Mccosker, when playing Paul Hill, is incredible, especially after being beaten by a prison guard. James Elmes must be extremely quick-witted having to play, what seemed like, 100s of parts. He plays all those parts phenomenally, constantly changing. The lighting was very good and the play is very well staged. It's play's like this that really make you appreciate fringe theatre, it's even better than some shows on West End and Broadway. The only things the show could improve on are to do with the theatre. There are three or four rows in Theatre N16, all on the same level. I was in the back row and had extremely tall people in front of me. I ended up sitting on my rucksack, but I feel that they could elevate the last two rows on a different platform. The show started at 7:30pm and everyone was allowed into their seats at around 7:27pm, leaving not long for people to get comfy in their seats, perhaps they could open the theatre a little earlier? Apart from those small issues, it was a great theatre to put the show in!

The featured star of Your Ever Loving is, drum roll please… STEFAN McCUSKER!


I found this so hard to choose between Stefan and James Elmes, I was even thinking of giving them a joint featured star! I felt I better stick with tradition and just pick one, so I decided to go with Stefan, but they were so close I could have just done eeny, meeny, miny, moe. Stefan gives such a phenomenal performance and I hope to see him in some more theatre some day.

Now for my final verdict on Your Ever Loving. I give Your Ever Loving…


I recommend this to anyone who enjoys good theatre. Don't be put off by the journey to Balham, it is certainly worth the journey!

Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment