Monday 18 April 2016

Review: People, Places and Things

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of People, Places and Things.
Continuing my quest to see the Olivier Award winners of 2016 live, I went to see Denise Gough's award winning performance in People, Places and Things. At the end of the play all I could say was 'WOW!'. I was utterly blown away. The synopsis is: 'Emma was having the time of her life. Now she’s in rehab. Her first step is to admit that she has a problem. But the problem isn’t with Emma, it’s with everything else. She needs to tell the truth. But she’s smart enough to know that there’s no such thing. When intoxication feels like the only way to survive the modern world, how can she ever sober up? ' Denise Gough gives the performance of a lifetime in a role she was born to play. Personally, I think this performance is up there with performances such as Helen Mirren in The Audience. I don't know if I can put into words how truly astonishing this performance was. The show also won the Olivier for Best Sound Design which it was also very deserving of. Cast members who stood out for me were Denise Gough as Emma, Barbara Marten as the Doctor, the Therapist and Mum, Nathaniel Martello-White as Mark, Kevin McMonagle as Paul and Dad and Alistair Cope as Foster. I was surprised Barbara wasn't nominated for an Olivier as she also gave a really strong performance, especially in her final scene. The play was very well directed and the set and lighting were great. This show is extremely hard to fault and it is currently one of the best shows in the West End. This show has even made  it into my top 5 plays (not including musicals)! I seriously cannot praise it enough! Hangmen, which People, Places and Things lost the 'Best New Play' Olivier Award to, must be the best thing since sliced bread to beat a play like this. The show had a great ensemble of actors. The show is extremely well written and has a great ending to it. I would love to see more plays by Duncan MacMillan. The only thing that perhaps could be changed is some seats were added onto the stage for audience members and it felt a little unnecessary.

The featured star of People, Places and Thing is, drum roll please… DENISE GOUGH!


As I said, Denise gives the performance of a lifetime in a role she was born to play, I am so happy to see she has received the recognition she deserves! 

Now for my final verdict on People, Places and Things. I give People, Places and Things…


People, Places and Things will be running for another two months so I would recommend getting your tickets before it's too late if you enjoy good theatre. Hopefully the play will extend past June!

Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing An Inspector Calls.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment