Friday 22 April 2016

Review: An Inspector Calls

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of An Inspector Calls.
This isn't something I would usually see, but having been kindly invited by ATG I went along. The production made a worthy effort, but the storyline really wasn't my cup of tea. Before going to the play, I was under the impression it was a murder mystery, but instead a girl had committed suicide and a detective visited this family blaming them because they had all been nasty to her over the years. I researched the play on Wikipedia afterwards and I found out there is a double meaning to the play, but I didn't feel this meaning made any statement, I just didn't quite see the point. Perhaps I would have liked the show a little more if it hadn't been as long as it was (1 hour and 40 minutes). There were certain points which, for me, really dragged. I feel this play is like marmite, I read a review with 5 stars saying it was absolutely wonderful, however I also read a 3 star review with this reviewer calling it a 'wobbly production'. I wasn't the biggest fan of Katherine Jack's portrayal of Sheila Birling, the performance just seemed wooden. There are some positive things about the show, which I am glad for! I thought Liam Brennan's performance was phenomenal and he carried the show on his shoulders. Other cast members that stood out were Geoff Lesley as Arthur Birling, Caroline Wildi as Sybil Birling and Hamish Riddle as Eric Birling. The lighting, set and costumes were all really good. I can't fault the production that much, I just found the storyline to be so dreary. If this play sounds like your kind of thing, I would definitely go for it, but if not I would not recommend it.

The featured star is, drum roll please… LIAM BRENNAN!


Liam Brannan was perfectly casted by 'Hanock Stevenson Casting', he really carried the show from start to finish and I sadly found all scenes without him a little joyless.

Now for my final verdict on An Inspector Calls. I give An Inspector Calls…


The show is touring until the end of May, so if the storyline interests you I would go along and see this production.

Think it should have got a higher rating? Think it should have got a lower rating? If so comment below.

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Your Ever Loving.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment