Tuesday 8 March 2016

Review: The Master Builder

Hey readers!
It's time for my review of The Master Builder.
I had tried to see Ralph Fiennes last year in Man and Superman, but sadly left it too late and before I knew it the show was sold out. Luckily Ralph is currently starring in an adaption of The Master Builder which I was fortunate enough to see. When I read the synopsis I wasn't 100% sure if I would like to see this show, however I am really glad I saw it as this is a very good play. It had a very clever storyline, one that really made you think. Here's the synopsis: Halvard Solness, a master architect, has spent his lifetime building the tallest spires in the land. But when Hilde, a radiant country girl, descends unexpectedly into his world, age is confronted by youth, and a series of revelations builds to a vertiginous climax. It really tested you intellectually, you had to pay attention to every line. The cast were all really good, but cast members who stood out for me were Ralph Fiennes as Halvard Solness, Sarah Snook as Hilda Wangel and James Dreyfus as Doctor Herdal. Ralph Fiennes showed so much emotion and played the role so convincingly, Sarah Snook showed a strong versatility and James Dreyfus had a great stage presence. The lighting, set and sound effects were all incredible. The ending is absolutely stunning and is probably my favourite part of the show! The way it was staged was astonishing, I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I'll tell you that you will be blown away! I felt James Dreyfus was badly underused, he had a big role in act one, didn't appear in act two and had a small part in act three. He was so good in act one and it was a shame that he wasn't onstage more. I don't feel the show needed to be split into three parts, I think they could've made act three a bit longer with parts of act two. Act two can drag on as it is mainly dialogue between Halvard and Hilda.

The featured star of The Master Builder is, drum roll please... RALPH FIENNES!


Ralph puts so much emotion in, he is truly a stunning actor and it is one of the best performances I have seen in a few months.

Now for my final verdict. I give The Master Builder...


The Master Builder isn't on for much longer so don't miss your chance to see Ralph Fiennes in this amazing show!


Join me next time when I will be reviewing 42nd Street

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment