Thursday 10 March 2016

Review: 42nd Street

Hey  readers!
It's time for my review of 42nd Street.
This production of the old classic 42nd Street was playing at my local theatre (Richmond Theatre) and I knew it would be a bit old fashioned but I was still looking forward to it. I think it would be fair to say I wasn't very impressed. The acting was very poor , I haven't seen acting like that in a while. The cast attempted to put on American accents and crashed and burned. I always try to be as kind as possible in my reviews, but when you see shows like this it can be extremely difficult. The singing wasn't really up to scratch either. After act one I looked in my programme and saw it was an amateur production. Some people may think I may be being too harsh on an amateur production, however they are not charging amateur prices. The ticket prices go up to £30, you can see a West End show for less! If an amateur production charges £10 and they call themselves amateur that is fair enough, but it is not right to call yourself an amateur production and charge that money! I have been going off Richmond Theatre more and more recently and I think I may stop going soon. I'm sure for people who haven't experienced much or any theatre this will be a nice experience to introduce them to the world of theatre. I've probably become a bit of a theatre snob, but that's what happens when you are blessed to see such productions as Hamilton and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Anyways, enough negatives, there were a few positives about this show! Cast members who were good were Jamie Chidzey as Billy Lawlor and Kerry Sampson as Dorothy Brock. Jamie was a really talented dancer and Kerry had a lovely voice. The orchestra were great, a lot of the dancing was really good and the music was enjoyable.

The featured star of 42nd Street is, drum roll please... JAMIE CHIDZEY!


Jamie is a really talented dancer and had quite a nice voice. His acting was a little weak, but if he takes some lessons he could easily be in a West End production.

Now for my final verdict on 42nd Street. I give 42nd Street...


I really hate writing bad reviews and there are not many shows that I don't like. As I said, it may be a nice experience for those who don't experience theatre much to ease them into the wonderful world of theatre! I could've gone into major detail about every little thing that I didn't like, but I didn't want to be too harsh! 

Join me next time when I will be reviewing Taking an Age.

Thanks for reading!

-The Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment